Linear Algebra - Linear transformations

In summary, the question is asking which of the given equations are linear transformations. To determine this, we must check if they follow the properties of linear transformations, which are L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u). For a), L(x,y,z) = (0,0), both properties hold true, making it a linear transformation. However, for b) and c), the second property does not hold true and they are not linear transformations.
superdave

Homework Statement

which of the following are linear transformations.

a) L(x,y,z) = (0,0)
b) L(x,y,z) = (1 ,2, -1)
c) L(x,y,z) = (x^2 + y, y - z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that L is a linear transformation if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u).

I am not sure how to apply that to those equations.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
superdave said:

Homework Statement

which of the following are linear transformations.

a) L(x,y,z) = (0,0)
b) L(x,y,z) = (1 ,2, -1)
c) L(x,y,z) = (x^2 + y, y - z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that L is a linear transformation if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u).

I am not sure how to apply that to those equations.

Please help.
Start with a couple of vectors, say u = <x1, y1, z1> and v = <x2, y2, z2>.

For a), see if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u). Do the same for b) and c).

Mark44 said:
Start with a couple of vectors, say u = <x1, y1, z1> and v = <x2, y2, z2>.

For a), see if L(u + v) = L(u) + L(v) and L(ku) = kL(u). Do the same for b) and c).

I guess my problem is, I don't know how to apply that to L(x,y,z) = (0,0). If it was L(v) = Av I would understand. I just don't understand the transformations themselves and how to apply them.

Well if it was L(v)=Av it wouldn't be interesting to ask if the transformation was linear!

For example for the first one if (x,y,z)=(1,2,4)

L(1,2,4)=(0,0).

And if (x,y,z)=(1,1,1)

L(1,1,1)=(0,0)

So L(1,2,4)+L(1,1,1)=(0,0)+(0,0)=(0,0).

Is this equal to L(2,3,5)? ((1,2,4)+(1,1,1))

Office_Shredder said:
Well if it was L(v)=Av it wouldn't be interesting to ask if the transformation was linear!

For example for the first one if (x,y,z)=(1,2,4)

L(1,2,4)=(0,0).

And if (x,y,z)=(1,1,1)

L(1,1,1)=(0,0)

So L(1,2,4)+L(1,1,1)=(0,0)+(0,0)=(0,0).

Is this equal to L(2,3,5)? ((1,2,4)+(1,1,1))

Ok, I think I understand. so that is linear because L(2,3,5) = (0,0). And L(ku) = kL(u) = (0,0).

But for b), the second part doesn't hold up because L(ku) = (1,2,-1) but kL(u) = k(1,2,-1) and they are not equal for all k.

and c probably shows something similar. I will have to write it out in a bit in Maple.

Thanks!

Related to Linear Algebra - Linear transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a linear manner. It preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication, meaning that the output of the transformation will also be a linear combination of the input vectors.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, where each column represents the transformed basis vectors of the input vector space. The output of the transformation can be obtained by multiplying the input vector with this matrix.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a linear equation?

A linear transformation is a function that operates on vectors, while a linear equation is an algebraic expression of variables with coefficients. A linear transformation can be represented by a linear equation, but not all linear equations represent linear transformations.

4. What is the importance of linear transformations in mathematics?

Linear transformations are essential in many areas of mathematics, such as geometry, calculus, and physics. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems involving linear systems, and they also have numerous real-world applications in fields such as computer graphics, economics, and engineering.

5. How are linear transformations used in data analysis?

In data analysis, linear transformations are used to transform data into a more meaningful or interpretable form. This can involve scaling, rotating, or reflecting the data, and can help reveal underlying patterns or relationships among variables. Linear transformations are also used in machine learning algorithms to transform data for better performance and accuracy.