Linear Algebra - Find a Polynomial

In summary, the problem is to find all polynomials of the form a + bx + cx^2 that go through the points (1,1) and (3,3) and have a derivative of 1 at x=2. After finding the correct equations, the matrix is set up as follows: 1 1 1 0 1 3 9 0 0 2 4 0 This results in the solution: a = 0 b = 1 c = 0 Therefore, the polynomial that satisfies the conditions is f(x) = 1x + 0x^2 = x.
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Find all polynomials of the form a + bx + cx^2 that:

Goes through the points (1,1) and (3,3)

and such that f'(2) = 1

Homework Equations

a + bx + cx^2
f'(x) = x+2cx
f'(2) = 2 + 4c

polynomial through (1,1) = a + b1 + c1 = 1
polynomial through (3,3) = a + b3+ c3^2 = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the general idea that this should result in a series of equations that I need to do gauss Jordan on. Similar problems like this resulted in 3 similar equations and were quite simple.

My problem here is that, since I have taken the derivative of f(x) I have lost my constant a. So I'm not sure what my matrix should look like. I've tried:

1 1 1 1
1 3 9 3

But for the one with the derivative, my f"(2) isn't in the same form - it's 2+4c = 1

so I"m not sure whether to use

1 2 4 1
0 2 4 1

or something more general. If I use something more general though like:

a 2 4 1

I can't get a pivot in my first column...

'elp!

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite 2+4c = 1 to 4c = -1.
That's of the form ... a + ... b + ... c = ...

That helps, but I'm still not sure whether my a's and b's for that equation should be 0s or 1's. I can try both, I suppose, but clearly my understanding of the problem is muddled or I wouldn't have to guess...

Is [itex]1 \cdot a + 1 \cdot b + 4 \cdot c = -1[/itex] the same as [itex]4c = -1[/itex]?
Or is [itex]0 \cdot a + 0 \cdot b + 4 \cdot c = -1[/itex] the same as [itex]4c = -1[/itex]?

Thanks for that clarification. I'm still getting some weird stuff (fractions I shouldn't be getting) but there must be another problem, since I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to get those and that I should wind up with a free variable instead.

I'll check back later if I'm still working on it. Thanks again!
-Dave K

1 1 1 1
1 3 9 3
0 2 4 1
do you know why?

Since x is such a polynomial it is easier to let
f(x)=a + bx + cx^2
g(x)=f(x)-x
f(1)=1
f(3)=3
f'(2)=1
imply
g(1)=0
g(3)=0
g'(2)=0
the matrix is
1 1 1 0
1 3 9 0
0 2 4 0

dkotschessaa said:

Homework Statement

Find all polynomials of the form a + bx + cx^2 that:

Goes through the points (1,1) and (3,3)

and such that f'(2) = 1

Homework Equations

a + bx + cx^2
f'(x) = x+2cx
f'(2) = 2 + 4c

polynomial through (1,1) = a + b1 + c1 = 1
polynomial through (3,3) = a + b3+ c3^2 = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the general idea that this should result in a series of equations that I need to do gauss Jordan on. Similar problems like this resulted in 3 similar equations and were quite simple.

My problem here is that, since I have taken the derivative of f(x) I have lost my constant a. So I'm not sure what my matrix should look like. I've tried:

1 1 1 1
1 3 9 3

But for the one with the derivative, my f"(2) isn't in the same form - it's 2+4c = 1

so I"m not sure whether to use

1 2 4 1
0 2 4 1

or something more general. If I use something more general though like:

a 2 4 1

I can't get a pivot in my first column...

'elp!

-Dave K

Your expression for f '(2) is incorrect.

Last edited:
Good catch Ray! It took three people to see that :)

Yes, indeed. That was a problem too. But your question "Is 1⋅a+1⋅b+4⋅c=−1 the same as 4c=−1?" was also instructive.

Thanks to the whole team. :)

Related to Linear Algebra - Find a Polynomial

1. What is the purpose of finding a polynomial in linear algebra?

The purpose of finding a polynomial in linear algebra is to represent a linear transformation between vector spaces. This allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations on vectors and matrices.

2. How do you find a polynomial in linear algebra?

To find a polynomial in linear algebra, you must first determine the coefficients of the polynomial. This can be done by solving a system of linear equations using the given data. Once the coefficients are determined, the polynomial can be expressed as a linear combination of basis vectors.

3. What are the steps involved in finding a polynomial using linear algebra?

The steps involved in finding a polynomial using linear algebra include determining the coefficients of the polynomial, expressing it as a linear combination of basis vectors, and solving for the unknowns in the system of linear equations. It is important to have a good understanding of vector spaces and linear transformations in order to successfully find a polynomial using linear algebra.

4. What types of problems can be solved using polynomial equations in linear algebra?

Polynomial equations in linear algebra can be used to solve a variety of problems, including finding the roots of a polynomial, solving systems of linear equations, and expressing a linear transformation in terms of a polynomial function. They are also useful in areas such as computer graphics, optimization, and physics.

5. Can polynomials be used to approximate non-linear functions in linear algebra?

Yes, polynomials can be used to approximate non-linear functions in linear algebra. This is because polynomials can be used to approximate any continuous function on a closed interval using Taylor series or other methods. However, higher degree polynomials may be required to achieve a more accurate approximation of the non-linear function.