Linear algebra - differentiation operator

In summary: What you need to do is find a member of P_3 that is NOT in the range of D- that is, for which there is no p in S with Dp= that member.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have a differentiation operator on P_3, and:

S = {p \in P_3 | p(0) = 0}.

I have to show that

1) D maps P_3 onto the subspace P_2

2) D : P_3 -> P_2 is NOT one-to-one

3) D: S -> P_3 is one-to-one

4) D: S -> P_3 is NOT onto.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Ok, for this I look at the bases. The basis for P_3 is [x^2, x, 1] and since we are dealing with an differentiation operator, the new basis must be [x, 1] - which is the basis for P_2, which we wanted to show.

2) I have to show that ax^2+bx+c and 2ax+b can have the same values. Do I just choose some values and show that they are equal?

3 + 4) I have to show that 2ax + b and ax^2+bx+c cannot have same values?

I hope you can confirm/help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

I have a differentiation operator on P_3, and:

S = {p \in P_3 | p(0) = 0}.

I have to show that

1) D maps P_3 onto the subspace P_2

2) D : P_3 -> P_2 is NOT one-to-one

3) D: S -> P_3 is one-to-one

4) D: S -> P_3 is NOT onto.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Ok, for this I look at the bases. The basis for P_3 is [x^2, x, 1] and since we are dealing with an differentiation operator, the new basis must be [x, 1] - which is the basis for P_2, which we wanted to show.

2) I have to show that ax^2+bx+c and 2ax+b can have the same values. Do I just choose some values and show that they are equal?
Yes, since you are showing the "negation" of a general statement (that D is one to one) a counterexample will suffice.

3 + 4) I have to show that 2ax + b and ax^2+bx+c cannot have same values?
No! For 3)you want to show that if p and q are distinct members of S, then Dp is NOT equal to Dq.
For 4), you want to show that there exist some member, q, say, of P_3 (NOT P_2!) that is not of the form Dp for any p in S

I hope you can confirm/help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

First, thanks for replying.

For #3: I have to show that D : S -> P_3 is injective. I'm a little uncertain of this: If p and q are members of S, then they are on the form ax^2+bx. E.g.

p(x) = q(x) = 2x^2+2x

D(p(x) != D(q(x)) - aren't they equal?

For #4: If for example q(x) = 3x^2+x (a member of P_3), then D(p) != q(x)? Is that what I must show?

I hope you can clarify for me - thanks again!

Niles said:
First, thanks for replying.

For #3: I have to show that D : S -> P_3 is injective. I'm a little uncertain of this: If p and q are members of S, then they are on the form ax^2+bx. E.g.

p(x) = q(x) = 2x^2+2x

D(p(x) != D(q(x)) - aren't they equal?
If you start with p= q, of course, they are! But I specifically said distinct members! If [itex]p\ne q[/itex], that is, if [itex]p= ax^2+ b[/itex] and [itex]q= cx^2+ d[/itex] where either [itex]c\ne a[/itex] or [itex]d\ne b[/itex] or both, is Dp= Dq?

For #4: If for example q(x) = 3x^2+x (a member of P_3), then D(p) != q(x)? Is that what I must show?
No, that's not what you must show- it's not true! If [itex]p= x^3+ x^2/2[/itex] then Dp is equal to q. Your particular choice of q(x) is a member of P_2 (which is a subspace of P_3) and I said it was important to note that this problem is about P_3, not P_2.

Related to Linear algebra - differentiation operator

1. What is a differentiation operator in linear algebra?

A differentiation operator in linear algebra is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to a particular variable. It is represented by the symbol d/dx, where d represents the operation of differentiation and dx represents the variable with respect to which the function is being differentiated.

2. How is a differentiation operator used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a differentiation operator is used to find the slope or tangent of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the variable.

3. What is the relationship between differentiation operators and matrices?

In linear algebra, differentiation operators can be represented as matrices. The entries of the matrix correspond to the coefficients of the variables in the function being differentiated. This representation allows for the application of linear algebra techniques to solve differential equations.

4. Can differentiation operators be applied to vectors and matrices?

Yes, differentiation operators can be applied to vectors and matrices. In this case, the derivative is taken with respect to each element of the vector or matrix. For example, the derivative of a vector [x, y] would be [dx/dt, dy/dt] where t is the variable with respect to which the vector is being differentiated.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiation operators in linear algebra?

Differentiation operators have many applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve rates of change, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth. They are also used in optimization problems to find the best solution for a given set of constraints.