Linear Algebra: Determine if set forms vector space

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of vectors and operations that can be performed on them, and linear algebra is concerned with studying their properties and relationships. To determine if a given set forms a vector space, certain properties such as closure and associativity must be satisfied. Linear algebra has applications in computer graphics, data analysis, physics, and engineering. While it can be challenging to learn at first, with practice and a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry, it can be a rewarding
0specificity

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following set forms a vector space:
{(x1, x2, x3) E R^3 | x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0 and x1x2 = 0}

Homework Equations

The axioms!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first equation in the set fulfills the axioms for a vector space, since it is of form {x| Ax = 0}. However, I am unsure about the second equation, and how the two must relate in order to form a vector space. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
0specificity said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following set forms a vector space:
{(x1, x2, x3) E R^3 | x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0 and x1x2 = 0}

Homework Equations

The axioms!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first equation in the set fulfills the axioms for a vector space, since it is of form {x| Ax = 0}. However, I am unsure about the second equation, and how the two must relate in order to form a vector space. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK, so you do not need to run through all the vector space axioms to do this. All you need to do is to show that this set is closed under linear combinations. That is, let a and b be scalars, and let x and y be vectors in your set. Then you need to show that ax + by is also in your set.

Also, you seem confused on what {(x1, x2, x3) E R^3 | x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0 and x1x2 = 0} means. I'm not sure what you mean by {x| Ax = 0}, what is A supposed to be? What {(x1, x2, x3) E R^3 | x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0 and x1x2 = 0} means is that if you take a vector in R^3, then the first coordinate plus twice the second minus the third is equal to 0 AND the product of the first and second coordinates is equal to 0.

Thank you so much for your help! But I'm still incredibly confused as to how to prove this (I'm sorry I feel really idiotic). I know that for the first equation, if vectors x and y are in that equation, the sum of x+y is also fulfills that equation. In addition, I know that a scalar b times any vector x for that equation implies that bx also fulfills that equation. However, I do not know how to go about using this to see if the whole set is a vector space.

If x1x2 = 0 and y1y2 = 0, x1x2 + y1y2 = 0. However, the vector (x+y) plugged into the equation comes out as x1x2 + y1y2 + x1y2 + x2y1 = 0. Can I assume that (x1y2 + x2y1) = 0?

0specificity said:
Thank you so much for your help! But I'm still incredibly confused as to how to prove this (I'm sorry I feel really idiotic). I know that for the first equation, if vectors x and y are in that equation, the sum of x+y is also fulfills that equation. In addition, I know that a scalar b times any vector x for that equation implies that bx also fulfills that equation. However, I do not know how to go about using this to see if the whole set is a vector space.

If x1x2 = 0 and y1y2 = 0, x1x2 + y1y2 = 0. However, the vector (x+y) plugged into the equation comes out as x1x2 + y1y2 + x1y2 + x2y1 = 0. Can I assume that (x1y2 + x2y1) = 0?

Ok, so first of all, don't feel idiotic. Linear Algebra is the start of something that is really uncomfortable to most of us, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.

So, here is how you prove that your set is closed under x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0.

Let a and b be scalars, let x=(x_1,x_2,x_3) and y=(y_1,y_2,y_3) be vectors in your set S.

ax + by = a(x_1,x_2,x_3) + b(y_1,y_2,y_3) = (ax_1 + by_1, ax_2 + by_2, ax_3 + by_3).
Now, ax_1 + by_1 -2(ax_2 + by_2) - ax_3 + by_3 = a(x_1) + a2(x_2) -a(x_3) + b(y_1) + b2(y_2) -b(y_3) = (a)(x_1 +2x_2 -x_3)+(b)(y_1 +2y_2 -y_3) = a0+b0 = 0. So, this linear combination satisfies the equation x1 + 2x2 - x3 = 0 and thus your set is closed under that eqation. Now do the same for for other condition.

Thank you so much!

Sorry one more question! I followed the procedure you showed me, and I'm ending up with x_2y_1 + x_1y_2 = 0. Since it was never established that either of the terms are equal to zero, is this set thus not a closed space and not a vector space?

You are correct that it was never established that x_2y_1 + x_1y_2 = 0. And you are correct that this set is not a vector space. However, there is one more thing that you need to do to complete the proof that this isn't a vector space. You need to prove that there are some vectors such that x_2y_1 + x_1y_2 =! 0 (=! is not equals). The best way to do this is to come up with a counter example. Once you do that, you're done.

Related to Linear Algebra: Determine if set forms vector space

What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and solving a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics.

What is a vector space and how is it related to linear algebra?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors and operations such as addition and scalar multiplication that can be performed on these vectors. Linear algebra is concerned with studying the properties and relationships of these vector spaces and how they can be used to solve linear equations.

How do you determine if a given set forms a vector space?

In order for a set to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy certain properties such as closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, existence of a zero vector and additive inverses, and associativity and distributivity of operations. These properties can be checked by performing a series of mathematical operations on the vectors in the set.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in computer graphics to manipulate and render 3D objects, in data analysis for dimensionality reduction and data compression, and in physics to model and solve systems of linear equations.

Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, linear algebra can be challenging to learn at first. However, with practice and a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry, it can be a very rewarding subject to study. There are also many online resources and textbooks available to help with learning linear algebra.