Linear Algebra Concept Question

In summary, the conditions for "a" under which the given system of equations has no solutions, a unique solution, or infinite solutions are as follows: - No solutions: a = 0 (this makes x and z undefined)- Unique solution: a not equal to 0 and not equal to 1 (in this case, x = (a-1)/a, y = 0, z = -1/a)- Infinite solutions: a = 1 (in this case, the solutions are x = -t, y = t, z = -1 where t can be any number) The general strategy for solving such problems is to reduce the matrix to its reduced row-echelon form and then
LHC
Homework Statement

List the conditions of "a" under which the system:

x + ay - z = 1
-x + (a-2) y + z = -1
2x + 2y (a-2) z = 1

i) Has no solutions:
ii) Has a unique solution:
iii) Has infinite solutions.

The attempt at a solution

Well, I changed the matrix into reduced row-echelon form and I found:

x = (a-1)/a
y = 0
z = -1/a

The textbook gives the following answers:
i) No solutions: a = 0 (which I understand...because otherwise there would be an undefined x and z)

ii) Unique solution: a not= 0 and a not= 1, then unique solution of:
x = (a-1)/a
y = 0
z = -1/a (same as above)

iii) Infinite solutions: if a = 1, then solutions of x = -t, y = t, z = -1

-------------

I don't understand the third case for infinite solutions. If a = 1, then wouldn't: x = 0, y = 0, z = -1?

Also, what is the general strategy for solving such problems? (Many of these types of problems are given in the section of the textbook that I'm going through, yet no example was ever given.) I mean, I understand how to get a unique solution, and how to get no solution, but I'm not sure how you would deduce the case for infinite solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A Linear System may have
1. A unique solution - the system is consistent
2. Infinite solutions - the system is consistent
3. No solutions - the system is inconsistent

To distinguish between a unique solution and infinite solutions:
If there are no basic variables, then the system has a unique solution.
If there are >= 1 free variables, the solutions has infinite solutions.

In
x = -t, y = t, z = -1
which are the basic, and free variables? Since there are at least 1 free variable, then the system has infinite solutions since t can be any number.

If there are no basic variables, then the system has a unique solution.
Sorry, this is a typo, it should be no free variables.

LHC said:
Homework Statement

List the conditions of "a" under which the system:

x + ay - z = 1
-x + (a-2) y + z = -1
2x + 2y (a-2) z = 1
You mean 2x+ 2y+ (a-2)z= 1, don't you?

i) Has no solutions:
ii) Has a unique solution:
iii) Has infinite solutions.

The attempt at a solution

Well, I changed the matrix into reduced row-echelon form and I found:

x = (a-1)/a
y = 0
z = -1/a
Be careful here. One of the equations reduces to 2(a-1)y= 0 which gives y= 0 provided a is not equal to 1. If a= 1, that equation is 0= 0 which is true no matter what y is. That's the case where there are an infinite number of solutions.

The textbook gives the following answers:
i) No solutions: a = 0 (which I understand...because otherwise there would be an undefined x and z)

ii) Unique solution: a not= 0 and a not= 1, then unique solution of:
x = (a-1)/a
y = 0
z = -1/a (same as above)

iii) Infinite solutions: if a = 1, then solutions of x = -t, y = t, z = -1

-------------

I don't understand the third case for infinite solutions. If a = 1, then wouldn't: x = 0, y = 0, z = -1?

Also, what is the general strategy for solving such problems? (Many of these types of problems are given in the section of the textbook that I'm going through, yet no example was ever given.) I mean, I understand how to get a unique solution, and how to get no solution, but I'm not sure how you would deduce the case for infinite solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, konthelion and HallsofIvy, for your help. HallsofIvy, when you said "Be careful here. One of the equations reduces to 2(a-1)y= 0 which gives y= 0 provided a is not equal to 1. If a= 1, that equation is 0= 0 which is true no matter what y is. That's the case where there are an infinite number of solutions.", I looked back on the steps that I used to reduce the matrix and you're right. Thank you for clarifying this for me; now I understand the rest of these problems.

Related to Linear Algebra Concept Question

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in terms of vectors and matrices. It involves the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, optimize solutions, and analyze data.

What are the fundamental concepts in linear algebra?

The fundamental concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, determinants, and eigenvalues. These concepts form the foundation for solving more complex problems in linear algebra.

What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array of numbers. Vectors are used to represent quantities with magnitude and direction, while matrices are used to represent linear transformations and systems of linear equations.

How is linear algebra used in machine learning?

Linear algebra is an essential tool in machine learning as it is used to represent and manipulate data. It is used to transform and preprocess data, perform dimensionality reduction, and train machine learning models such as linear regression and neural networks.