Linear algebra; changing bases

In summary, the conversation is about finding the transition matrix S that goes from one given basis E to another given basis F in linear algebra. The correct approach is to express the basis F as a linear combination of the basis E. The second question involves finding the matrix for a linear transformation F in terms of a given basis W spanned by 4 matrices. The approach is to find F(A_i) for each matrix A_i and express the results as a linear combination of the basis matrices. However, the resulting matrix should be a 4x4 matrix, not a 2x2 matrix.
Niles
[SOLVED] Linear algebra; changing bases

Homework Statement

I have two bases E and F given by:

E = [1, x, x^2]

F = [1-x, x-x^2, x^2].

I want to find the transition-matrix S that goes from E to F.

The Attempt at a Solution

To do this, I must write one basis as a linear combination of the other. I am just confused about which way?

Since we are going from E to F, I believe I have to write F as l.c. of E, so for 1 - x we have the vector (1,-1,0)^T. Am I right or is it the other way around?

I hope you can help, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right idea, wrong way. You want to take an arbitrary coordinate vector (x, y, z) written in terms of the basis E to the corresponding coordinate vector in terms of basis F. But the easiest way to do this is to just find the transformation of (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1). That is, find the elements of E in terms of F.

I see, thank you.

Although, I have a new question, if you do not mind.

I have 4 matrices that span out a vector-space W. The 4 matrices are 2x2 matrices, and they are:

A_1 = (1 0 , 0 0) - (that is 1 0 in top, 0 0 in bottom).

A_2 = (0 1 , 0 0)

A_3 = (0 0 , 1 0)

A_4 = (0 0 , 0 1).

We have another matrix A = (a b , c d) and a linear transformation F : W -> W given by:

F(X) = AX-XA, X in W.

I have to find the matrix for F with respect to the basis W spanned by A_1 .. A_4.

_____

What I did was to find F(A_1) up to F(A_4) and then express this result as a linear combination of A_1 to A_4, e.g.:

F(A_1) = 0*A_1 - b*A_2 + c*A_3 - 0*A_4. Then (0,-b,c,0)^T is the first column in my matrix. Is this approach correct?

Niles said:

The Attempt at a Solution

To do this, I must write one basis as a linear combination of the other. I am just confused about which way?

Since we are going from E to F, I believe I have to write F as l.c. of E,

That's right, don't forget to write the linear combinations as column vectors in your transition matrix.

Thanks. Do you have any comments/suggestion to my second question?

About my last question - the reason why I don't think it's correct is that I get a 4x4-matrix, but the vector-space is spanned by 4 2x2 matrices?

Related to Linear algebra; changing bases

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to express any vector in a vector space. It is similar to the concept of a coordinate system in geometry, where the basis vectors act as the axes.

2. How do you change bases in linear algebra?

To change bases in linear algebra, you need to find the transformation matrix that maps the original basis to the new basis. This can be done by writing the new basis vectors in terms of the old basis vectors and constructing a matrix from those coefficients. Multiplying this matrix by a vector expressed in the original basis will give the coordinates of that vector in the new basis.

3. Why is changing bases important in linear algebra?

Changing bases is important in linear algebra because it allows us to simplify calculations and understand the properties of a vector space in a more intuitive way. By changing to a basis that is better suited for a particular problem, we can often find simpler solutions and gain new insights.

4. Can you change to any basis in linear algebra?

Yes, it is possible to change to any basis in linear algebra as long as the basis vectors are linearly independent. However, some bases may be more convenient than others for a given problem, so it is important to choose the best basis for the task at hand.

5. How does changing bases affect linear transformations?

Changing bases does not affect the linear transformation itself, as the underlying structure of the vector space remains the same. However, the coordinates of vectors and the transformation matrix may change when switching to a different basis, which can make calculations and interpretations easier or more difficult.