Linear algebra, basis, diagonal matrix

In summary, the A matrix and x vector are given. The task is to diagonalize A by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and using them to construct a basis matrix P. The resulting A' matrix is then found by multiplying BAB^-1, and x' is found by multiplying Bx. To avoid finding the Jordan form of A, the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue are found, and P is constructed with these eigenvectors as its columns. The resulting A' is a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues as its entries. It is important to check for mistakes and to ensure that the eigenvectors are orthogonal and that A is a normal matrix, as this guarantees diagonalizability.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Write the A matrix and the x vector into a basis in which A is diagonal.
[itex]A=\begin{pmatrix} 0&-i&0&0&0 \\ i&0&0&0&0 \\ 0&0&3&0&0 \\ 0&0&0&1&-i \\ 0&0&0&i&-1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
[itex]x=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ a \\ i \\ b \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

Homework Equations

A=P^(-1)A'P.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the eigenvalues (spectra in fact) to be [itex]\sigma (A) = \{ -1,0,0,1,3 \}[/itex].
I'm happy they told me A is diagonalizable; so I can avoid finding the Jordan form of A.
So I know how is A'. I think that in order to find P, I must find the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalues. P would be the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors encountered. So with [itex]\lambda = -1[/itex], I found [itex]v_1=\begin{pmatrix} -i \\ i \\ 3 \\ 4-i \\ i+1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. But for [itex]\lambda =0[/itex] I reach the null vector as eigenvector, which I know is impossible.
Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fluidistic! :smile:

What you're doing is right.
But for lambda=0 you can still find a vector that is not the null vector.
Actually there should be 2 linearly independent eigenvectors.
They span the kernel of A.

I like Serena said:
Hi fluidistic! :smile:

What you're doing is right.
But for lambda=0 you can still find a vector that is not the null vector.
Actually there should be 2 linearly independent eigenvectors.
They span the kernel of A.
Ah true, I had made an arithmetic error. If there was no 2 l.i. eigenvectors for lambda=0 then the matrix A wouldn't be diagonalizable.

The basis I found is [itex]P=B=\begin{pmatrix} 1&0&0&-i&0 \\ -i&0&0&i&0 \\ 0&0&0&3&-1 \\ 0&-i&-i&4-i&1 \\ 0&1&5&1+i& \frac{3}{5} \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
What they ask for is [itex]A'=BAB^{-1}[/itex] which is (should be if I didn't make any error) just a diagonal matrix whose entries are the eigenvalues I found. And x'=Bx.
Am I right?

Didn't check for mistakes, but yes, you're right.

also not required, but couple of extra tips:

- As A is close to diagonal, so you can shortcut and find the eigenvalues & eigenvectors for the 3 small blocks that make up A. These will be eigenvectors of A with zeroes in the other entries and will lead to simpler eigenvectors than the ones you have.

- It always good to check by multiplying the matrix by the eigenvector you found and in fact I I think you need to do that. The eigenvectors you have don't look right at glance

- If all your eigenvectors all turn out to be orthogonal, and you normalise, then finding the inverse of P is simple - its the transpose conjugate (P is unitary).

- I think A is a normal matrix (A*A=AA*), if so it guarantees all eignespaces correponding to single eignevalues are orthogonal

Last edited:
Note that A=A* (A is equal to its conjugate transpose).
The so called spectral theorem tells us that this means that A is diagonizable.

I like Serena said:
Note that A=A* (A is equal to its conjugate transpose).
The so called spectral theorem tells us that this means that A is diagonalizable.
So A is actually a hermitian matrix which guarantees real eigenvalues and diagonalisability

hermitian matricies are also a subset of normal matricies, which gurantees diagonalisability by a unitary matrix

Last edited:
I'll second lanedance's recommendation to check your eigenvectors. You should be able to see by inspection that (0, 0, 1, 0, 0) is an eigenvector of A.

I also found different eigenvalues for A, namely ±1, ±√2, and 3, so you should recheck that calculation first.

Related to Linear algebra, basis, diagonal matrix

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear transformations, and vector spaces. It involves the study of operations on vectors and matrices to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is a basis in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be expressed as a unique combination of the basis vectors. The number of basis vectors is called the dimension of the vector space.

3. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal (from top left to bottom right) are zero. The main diagonal contains the eigenvalues of the matrix, and the eigenvectors of the matrix are the basis vectors for the vector space spanned by the matrix.

4. How is basis related to diagonalization of a matrix?

The basis vectors of a matrix are the eigenvectors of the matrix. When a matrix is diagonalized, it is transformed into a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the main diagonal. This means that the basis vectors of the original matrix become the standard basis vectors in the diagonal matrix.

5. What practical applications does linear algebra have?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. It is used to solve systems of equations, find optimal solutions, and analyze large datasets. It is also essential in the development of algorithms and models in various industries.