Linear Algebra - Basis and Kernel

In summary: Can you post your question, precisely as it is stated, with no shorthand use of pronouns? Just straight from the text.I thought I had it exact, but my formatting is all wrong. I kept copying and pasting and realized that I ws calling v's x's. I fixed it. :/ Sorry for the confusion.
succubus
Consider a 5 x 4 matrix...

We are told that the vector,

is in the kernel of A. Write
v4

as a linear combination of

v1,v2,v3I'm a bit confused. Since this is a kernel of A, the kernel is a subset of R^m, therefore the other columns are linear combinations and therefore redundant. (since this is the only column represented) So, that means I can have the columns be anything I want, so why can't they just all be the same? Is this too easy or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the vi here?

The v[tex]_{4}[/tex] seems like

since the problem is asking for v[tex]_{4}[/tex] to be written as a linear combination of [tex]\overline{v_{1}}[/tex],[tex]\overline{v_{2}}[/tex],[tex]\overline{v_{3}}[/tex]

Last edited:
succubus said:
The v[tex]_{4}[/tex] seems like

What do you mean that v4 "seems like" the above? It either is or isn't a vector with coordinates 1, 2, 3, and 4.
succubus said:
since the problem is asking for v[tex]_{4}[/tex] to be written as a linear combination of [tex]\overline{v_{1}}[/tex],[tex]\overline{v_{2}}[/tex],[tex]\overline{v_{3}}[/tex]

I'm guessing that v1, v2, v3, and v4 are the columns of your matrix.

What does it mean that a vector x is in the nullspace of a matrix?
If you carry out the multiplication Ax, what do you get?
If you carry out the same multiplication, but using the vectors v1, v2, v3, and v4, what do you get?

Since this is a column of only 1 vector representing a kernel, would this represent a plane? I have the equation as
[tex]\overline{v_{1}}[/tex] + 2[tex]\overline{v_{2}}[/tex] + 3[tex]\overline{v_{3}}[/tex] + 4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex] = 0

First, I solve for [tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]

So is it

[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex] = c1(4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]) + c2(2[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]) + c3(3/4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex])

Referring to above poster.

When I read the question, it basically seemed confusing at first. I was thinking of it in terms of a redundant column vector. Now I'm thinking each number is the coefficient to the column vector and it represents a plane. Am I correct in assuming this based on the information?

Can you post your question, precisely as it is stated, with no shorthand use of pronouns? Just straight from the text.

I thought I had it exact, but my formatting is all wrong. I kept copying and pasting and realized that I ws calling v's x's. I fixed it. :/ Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
succubus said:
Since this is a column of only 1 vector representing a kernel, would this represent a plane?
The problem states that [1 2 3 4] is in the kernel, not that it represents the kernel. We know that the kernel is at least 1-dimensional (a line through the origin). It might be that the kernel is 2-dimensional (a plane in 4D) or higher.
succubus said:
I have the equation as
[tex]\overline{v_{1}}[/tex] + 2[tex]\overline{v_{2}}[/tex] + 3[tex]\overline{v_{3}}[/tex] + 4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex] = 0

First, I solve for [tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]

So is it

[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex] = c1(4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]) + c2(2[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex]) + c3(3/4[tex]\overline{v_{4}}[/tex])
No, but I think you have the right idea, assuming that my interpretation of this problem was correct; namely, that v1, v2, v3, and v4 are the columns of A.. Try again, and be more careful with your subscripts.
succubus said:
Referring to above poster.

When I read the question, it basically seemed confusing at first. I was thinking of it in terms of a redundant column vector. Now I'm thinking each number is the coefficient to the column vector and it represents a plane. Am I correct in assuming this based on the information?

Related to Linear Algebra - Basis and Kernel

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors form a basis?

To determine if a set of vectors form a basis, you need to check two conditions: linear independence and spanning the vector space. This means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others, and together they can represent any vector in the vector space.

3. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. This is also the number of coordinates needed to represent any vector in that space.

4. What is the kernel of a linear transformation?

The kernel of a linear transformation is the set of all vectors in the domain that get mapped to the zero vector in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that the transformation "squeezes out" to zero.

5. How is the basis related to the kernel of a matrix?

The basis of the vector space spanned by the columns of a matrix is equal to the kernel of that matrix. This means that the basis vectors can be used to represent the null space of the matrix, which consists of all vectors that are mapped to zero by the matrix.