Linear 1st order PDE (boundary conditions)

In summary, the problem is that the limit as u\rightarrow \infty does not depend on x, which makes solving the equation difficult.
twizzy

Homework Statement

Solve the equation [tex]u_{x}+2xy^{2}u_{y}=0[/tex] with [tex]u(x,0)=\phi(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Implicit function theorem
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{\partial u/\partial x}{\partial u/\partial y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]-\frac{u_x}{u_y}=\frac{dy}{dx}=2xy^2[/tex]
Separating variables
[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2}=2xdx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-1}{y}=x^2+c[/tex]
[tex]C=x^2+\frac{1}{y}[/tex]
So [tex]u(x,y)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{y})[/tex]
The boundary condition is given as evaluating at [tex]y=0[/tex] which doesn't seem to make sense. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't be boundary condition mean you need to pick an f such that f(u)->0 as u->infinity?

Dick said:
Wouldn't be boundary condition mean you need to pick an f such that f(u)->0 as u->infinity?

Since [tex]u(x,y)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{y})[/tex] and [tex]u(x,0)=\phi(x) [/tex],
we have [tex]u(x,0)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{\epsilon})=\phi(x)[/tex] where [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/tex]. This would imply that [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \infty}f(u)=\phi(x)[/tex]. Then again, that can't be right because the limit as [tex]u\rightarrow \infty[/tex] should not depend on x. I'm not sure if I see why you have "f(u)->0".

twizzy said:
Since [tex]u(x,y)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{y})[/tex] and [tex]u(x,0)=\phi(x) [/tex],
we have [tex]u(x,0)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{\epsilon})=\phi(x)[/tex] where [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/tex]. This would imply that [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \infty}f(u)=\phi(x)[/tex]. Then again, that can't be right because the limit as [tex]u\rightarrow \infty[/tex] should not depend on x. I'm not sure if I see why you have "f(u)->0".

I have "f(u)->0" because I was reading the boundary condition as u(x,0)=0, not phi(x). My mistake.

So then if [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] were not a constant, would the question even make sense?

twizzy said:
So then if [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] were not a constant, would the question even make sense?

I'm having trouble seeing how. But then maybe I'm missing something...

Related to Linear 1st order PDE (boundary conditions)

1. What is a linear 1st order PDE?

A linear 1st order PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is considered linear if the dependent variables and their derivatives appear only in a linear fashion, and first order if it contains only first derivatives.

2. How is a linear 1st order PDE solved?

A linear 1st order PDE is typically solved by using a method called the method of characteristics. This involves finding a solution curve in the domain of the PDE that satisfies both the PDE and the given boundary conditions.

3. What are boundary conditions in a linear 1st order PDE?

Boundary conditions are additional information or constraints given in a linear 1st order PDE that help determine a unique solution. These conditions are specified at the boundaries of the domain and can be either of two types: Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the value of the solution is given at the boundary, or Neumann boundary conditions, where the derivative of the solution is given at the boundary.

4. Can a linear 1st order PDE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear 1st order PDE can have multiple solutions if the boundary conditions are not sufficiently specified. In order to have a unique solution, the boundary conditions must be consistent and sufficient to determine a unique solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear 1st order PDEs?

Linear 1st order PDEs have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model various physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in financial models to predict stock prices and interest rates.