Line passing through an Ellipse and a Point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for a line that passes through an ellipse and a given point, using the chain rule. The participant attempted to derive the slope of the ellipse and is seeking guidance on how to proceed. There is also mention of finding two equations for the slope, one for the upper half of the ellipse and one for the line passing through the point.
Figurelli
Please Help! Line passing through an Ellipse and a Point

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I could really use some help with this problem.

There is an ellipse with the equation: (X^2/4) + Y^2 = 1

There is a point on the graph (4,0)

Find an equation that passes through the line and the point...(must use the chain rule)

Homework Equations

(X^2/4) + Y^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to derive the slope of the circle: (DY/DX) = (-.5X)/(2Y)...
What do I do from here? Was that part even right? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The line y=0 passes through the point and the ellipse. I think you want a line that passes through the point (4,0) and is tangent to the ellipse, right? In which case there are two of them.

Yes, I suppose you could find either equation but the one in the picture shows the line with a negative slope...

You need two equations for slope, or dy/dx. One is the slope of the upper half of an ellipse. The other is for a line that passes through the point (4,0).

Related to Line passing through an Ellipse and a Point

1. What is the equation for a line passing through an ellipse and a point?

The equation for a line passing through an ellipse and a point is given by: (x - xc)2 / a2 + (y - yc)2 / b2 = 1, where (xc, yc) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How can I determine if a line intersects an ellipse at all?

A line intersects an ellipse if the line's equation satisfies the equation of the ellipse. This can be done by substituting the line's equation into the equation of the ellipse and then solving for x and y. If there are real solutions for both x and y, then the line intersects the ellipse.

3. What is the maximum number of intersection points between a line and an ellipse?

The maximum number of intersection points between a line and an ellipse is two. This is because a line can only intersect an ellipse at a maximum of two points.

4. Can a line be tangent to an ellipse at a point?

Yes, a line can be tangent to an ellipse at a point. In this case, the line will only intersect the ellipse at that one point, and the line's equation will satisfy the equation of the ellipse at that point.

5. How can I find the coordinates of the intersection points between a line and an ellipse?

To find the coordinates of the intersection points between a line and an ellipse, you can use the substitution method. Substitute the line's equation into the equation of the ellipse and solve for x. Then, substitute the value of x into the line's equation to find the corresponding y value. This will give you the coordinates of the intersection points.