Line Integrals (Complex Variables)

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving ellipse parametrization and Cauchy's Theorem, but was not able to do it mathematically. They then found a Wikipedia page on elliptic coordinates and were able to derive their parametrization. They were then unable to evaluate the integral 1/z over the ellipse.
student85

Homework Statement

i) Define a path [itex]\gamma[/itex] whose image is the ellipse [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{y^2}{b^2}[/tex] = 1 traced counterclockwise.
ii) Show that [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] dz = [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] dz for a suitable circle [itex]\beta[/itex]
(NOTE: THE FIRST INTEGRAL IS OVER THE ELLIPSE [itex]\gamma[/itex], THE SECOND ONE IS OVER THE CIRCLE [itex]\beta[/itex]).
iii) Use the above result (part (ii)) to show that [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{a^2 cos^2(t) + b^2 sin^2(t)}[/itex] dt = [itex]\frac{2\pi}{ab}[/itex] for a>0, b>0.

Homework Equations

Green's Theorem, Cauchy's Theorem... Cauchy's formula too maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so first of all I parametrized the ellipse, I got the following:

[itex]\gamma[/itex] (t) = t - i(b/a) [itex]\sqrt{a^2 - t^2}[/itex] for -a[itex]\leq[/itex] t [itex]\leq[/itex] a
[itex]\gamma[/itex] (t) = (2a-t) + i(b/a) [itex]\sqrt{a^2 - (2a-t)^2}[/itex] for a[itex]\leq[/itex] t [itex]\leq[/itex] 3a

I've checked and I'm pretty sure that is a correct parametrization for the ellipse given.
Now, my real problem is with ii) and iii). For ii) I'm thinking about using Cauchy's Theorem maybe... because the function 1/z is analytic everywhere except at the origin, so a line integral over an ellipse centered at the origin and a circle that's also centered at the origin would be the same (since the function is analytic everywhere in the space between the two paths). However, I'm not that sure on how to "show" that, mathematically. The corrector checks the homeworks very strictly so I need to show it very clearly. Any ideas? As for iii) well I need ii) first...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't have used that parameterization. I would have used x= a cos(t), y= b sin(t) so that [itex]\gamma(t)= a cos(t)+ i b sin(t)[/itex]. You should find that simpler. The [itex]dz/z[/itex] becomes [itex](-a sin(t)+ i b cos(t))dt/(a cos(t)+ i b sin(t))[/itex]. Try multiplying both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

Oh, thanks Halls, that was great help.
How did you get that parametrization, are they simlpy obtained from the the elliptic coordinate transformations?
I found this on wikipedia:
"The most common definition of elliptic coordinates (μ,ν) is
x = a cosh [itex]\mu[/itex] cos v
y = a sinh [itex]\mu[/itex] sin v "
Can you show me how to get to your parametrization?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Those are ellipitic coordinates in a plane, not a parameterization of an ellipse. What does Wikipedia say [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] represent there?

My derivation starts from cos2(t)+ sin2(t)= 1 Since the equation of the ellipse is x2/a2+ y2/b2= 1, letting x/a= cos(t) and y/b= sin(t) should be obvious and that gives x= a cos(t), y= b sin(t).

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I evaluate integral 1/z over the ellipse?

Related to Line Integrals (Complex Variables)

What are line integrals?

Line integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. They are typically used in multivariable calculus and complex analysis.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in the x-y plane, while a line integral calculates the value of a function along a given path in a multi-dimensional space.

How are line integrals calculated?

Line integrals are calculated by breaking the given path into small segments and approximating the value of the function on each segment. These values are then added together to get an overall approximation of the line integral. This process becomes more accurate as the number of segments increases.

Can line integrals be calculated in complex variables?

Yes, line integrals can be calculated in complex variables. In this case, the path is a curve in the complex plane and the function is a complex-valued function. The calculation is similar to regular line integrals, but with the use of complex numbers and complex analysis techniques.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating work done by a force along a given path, finding the center of mass of a curved object, and solving certain types of differential equations. They are also used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics.