Line Integrals 2: Evaluate Triangle on Vertices (0,0), (3,3), (0,3)

In summary, this person is trying to find a piecewise polynomial to solve the problem of integrating from vertex(0,0), vertex(3,3) and vertex(0,3) for a triangle.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Evaluate this integral directly

Homework Equations

[itex]\int cos x sin y dx +sin x cos y dy[/itex] on vertices (0,0), (3,3) and (0,3) for a triangle

The Attempt at a Solution

Does this have to evaluated parametrically using [itex]r(t)=(1-t)r_0+tr_1[/itex] for [itex]0 \le t\le 1[/itex]

or can I just proceed evaluating each line segment in a counter clockwise manner starting with the vertices:

from (0,0) t (3,3) which gives the line y=x hence dy=dx, substituting in the above

[itex] \displaystyle I_{ab} = \int_0^3 (cos x sin x + sin x cos x ) dx = \int_0^3 sin 2x dx[/itex]...?

Physics news on Phys.org
How directly is directly? Because using Green's theorem makes this trivial.

Yes, i can use green's but i need to verify it directly...

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]\int cos x sin y dx +sin x cos y dy[/itex] on vertices (0,0), (3,3) and (0,3) for a triangle

Does this have to evaluated parametrically using [itex]r(t)=(1-t)r_0+tr_1[/itex] for [itex]0 \le t\le 1[/itex]

or can I just proceed evaluating each line segment in a counter clockwise manner starting with the vertices:

from (0,0) t (3,3) which gives the line y=x hence dy=dx, substituting in the above

[itex] \displaystyle I_{ab} = \int_0^3 (cos x sin x + sin x cos x ) dx = \int_0^3 sin 2x dx[/itex]...?

Any thoughts on how I calculate this directly?

I guess the best way would be to just split it up over each side and evaluate it parametrically.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

There is no "or" here- the methods you mention are identical. Of course, because the path itself has "corners", you can't have a single polynomial for the entire path- you need a "piecewise" polynomial which is what you have started with- the line from (0,0) to (3,3). Now, the lline from (3, 3) to (0, 3) is given by x= 3- t, y= 0 so that dx= -dt, dy= 0 with t from 0 to 3 Or, equivalently, x= t, y= 0 so that dx= dt, dy= 0 with t from 3 to 0. Note that integrating from 3 to 0 reverses the sign of the integral, giving the same result as the "-dx" when integrating from 0 to 3.

Now, how would you handle the path from (0,3) to (0,0)?

HallsofIvy said:
There is no "or" here- the methods you mention are identical. Of course, because the path itself has "corners", you can't have a single polynomial for the entire path- you need a "piecewise" polynomial which is what you have started with- the line from (0,0) to (3,3). Now, the lline from (3, 3) to (0, 3) is given by x= 3- t, y= 0 so that dx= -dt, dy= 0 with t from 0 to 3 Or, equivalently, x= t, y= 0 so that dx= dt, dy= 0 with t from 3 to 0. Note that integrating from 3 to 0 reverses the sign of the integral, giving the same result as the "-dx" when integrating from 0 to 3.

Now, how would you handle the path from (0,3) to (0,0)?

My attempt for (3,3) back to (0,3) is as follows

THis is a horizontal line at y=3 implies dy=0 therefore the original integral of ∫cos x sin y dx+ sin x cos y dy (and subbing y=3 )reduces to

[itex]\int_3^0 cos x sin 3 dx[/itex]...? Why isn't this right?

bugatti79 said:
My attempt for (3,3) back to (0,3) is as follows

THis is a horizontal line at y=3 implies dy=0 therefore the original integral of ∫cos x sin y dx+ sin x cos y dy (and subbing y=3 )reduces to

[itex]\int_3^0 cos x sin 3 dx[/itex]...? Why isn't this right?

I have it thank you.

Related to Line Integrals 2: Evaluate Triangle on Vertices (0,0), (3,3), (0,3)

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept in multivariable calculus that calculates the area under a curve or surface. It involves integrating a function along a specific path or curve.

2. How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you must first parameterize the given curve or path. This means expressing the x and y coordinates in terms of a single variable, usually t. Then, you can plug this parameterization into the line integral formula and integrate with respect to t.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a line integral on a triangle?

Evaluating a line integral on a triangle can be used to find the area enclosed by the triangle, or to calculate physical quantities such as work or flux. It can also be used to determine the average value of a function on the triangle.

4. How do you evaluate a line integral on a triangle with given vertices?

To evaluate a line integral on a triangle with given vertices, you can use the formula ∫C f(x,y) ds = ∫a b f(x(t),y(t)) sqrt((x'(t))^2+(y'(t))^2) dt, where a and b are the start and end points of the curve, and x(t) and y(t) are the parameterizations of the triangle's sides.

5. Can line integrals be evaluated on any shape?

Line integrals can be evaluated on any closed curve or path, not just triangles. They can also be evaluated on more complicated shapes such as circles, ellipses, and even 3D surfaces. However, the method for evaluating them may vary depending on the shape.