Line integral, vector calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate a line integral with a given force field and domain. The domain is defined as C, which is made up of two curves - C1, a line segment from (1; 2; 5) to (2; 3; 3), and C2, an arc of a circle with radius 2 and center (2; 3; 1) in the plane x = 2. The arc has initial point (2; 3; 3) and terminal point (2; 1; 1). The abbreviations r = <x,y,z> and |r| = r are also defined. The conversation also mentions difficulties with parametrizing
daku420
Evaluate the line integral
Force field is the integral in the form of integrand ( (2x dx+ 2y dy + 2 zdz)/r^2).
the domain of integral is C,

C = C1 + C2. C1 is the line segment from (1; 2; 5) to (2; 3; 3). C2,arc
of the circle with radius 2 and centre (2; 3; 1) in the plane x = 2. The arc has initial point
(2; 3; 3) and terminal point (2; 1; 1). The abbreviations r = <x,y,z> and |r| = r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the integral with curve one, since the curve one from (1; 2; 5) to (2; 3; 3) is a line segment the function of the following curve I computed with the equation of line r(t)= (1-t)ro + t(r1) where 0<= t <= 1

ro is (1; 2; 5),
r1 is (2; 3; 3),

i was able to find the r (t) and then took the line integral using the force field above,

Now, I have a problem with the C2 which happens to be an arc, i do know that i can parametrize this C2 with respect to t by saying r(t) = <a cost + x0, a sin t + yo, z0>

but not sure how to get the domain t as i am unable to draw this arc by hand. I would really appreciate if some one tell me how to find out the domain of t in C2 or how to draw it

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks in advance,
regards
daku

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please?

Related to Line integral, vector calculus

1. What is a line integral in vector calculus?

A line integral in vector calculus is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a scalar or vector field along a curve or path in a multi-dimensional space. It takes into account not only the magnitude but also the direction of the field at each point along the curve.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral differs from a regular integral in that it takes into account the direction of the field being integrated, whereas a regular integral only considers the magnitude. This allows for the calculation of the total effect of a vector field along a specific path.

3. What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed curve or surface. In fluid mechanics, line integrals are used to determine the circulation of a fluid around a closed path.

4. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking down the curve or path into small segments, and then calculating the contribution of each segment to the overall integral. This is done by multiplying the magnitude of the field at that point by the length of the segment, and then summing up all the contributions to get the total line integral.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the flow of fluids in pipes and channels, the strength of electric and magnetic fields, and the work done by forces in mechanical systems. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic lighting effects and simulations of physical phenomena.