Line integral and greens theorem

In summary, the problem involves finding the line integral of a vector function, given a specific vector and parameterization. The solution involves using the chain rule and evaluating the integral with specified bounds.
member 428835

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/tex] where [itex]F=<y,0>[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}=[/itex]unit circle.

Homework Equations

i'd prefer to do this one without greens theorem (using it is very easy).

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y=r\sin\theta[/itex] and [itex]x=r\cos\theta[/itex]. now [itex]\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}=\int r\cos\theta (\cos\theta dr -r\sin\theta d\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta [0,\pi][/itex] and [itex]r [0,1][/itex]
but what do i do with my bounds of this single integral? please help! (i used the chain rule with the above substitutions to evaluate [itex]\int \vec{F_x}dx[/itex] since the [itex]dy[/itex] component seems to be zero)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/tex] where [itex]F=<y,0>[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}=[/itex]unit circle.

Homework Equations

i'd prefer to do this one without greens theorem (using it is very easy).

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y=r\sin\theta[/itex] and [itex]x=r\cos\theta[/itex]. now [itex]\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}=\int r\cos\theta (\cos\theta dr -r\sin\theta d\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta [0,\pi][/itex] and [itex]r [0,1][/itex]
but what do i do with my bounds of this single integral? please help! (i used the chain rule with the above substitutions to evaluate [itex]\int \vec{F_x}dx[/itex] since the [itex]dy[/itex] component seems to be zero)

thanks!

##r=1## on the circumference of the unit circle. You parameterization should be$$
\vec r(t)=\langle \cos t, \sin t \rangle,~~\vec F = \langle \sin t , 0\rangle$$

Likes 1 person

Related to Line integral and greens theorem

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the total value of a function over a curved path. It is often used in physics and engineering to determine the work done by a force along a specific path.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve, while a line integral involves finding the value of a function along a specific path. In other words, a line integral takes into account both the function and the path, while a regular integral only considers the function.

3. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is often used to simplify calculations involving line integrals.

4. When is Green's theorem useful?

Green's theorem is useful when dealing with line integrals in two-dimensional space. It allows for the conversion of a line integral into a double integral, which can often be easier to evaluate.

5. How is Green's theorem related to the divergence theorem and Stokes' theorem?

Green's theorem is a special case of the more general Stokes' theorem, which relates surface integrals to line integrals. The divergence theorem, on the other hand, relates a volume integral to a surface integral. All three theorems are interconnected and are used to solve various problems in mathematics and physics.