Line integral and continuous gradient

In summary, the problem involves finding the line integral over a path with given parametric equations, using the fundamental theorem of gradients and the values of a function tabulated in a table. The correct method is to evaluate the function at the endpoints of the path and subtract the resulting values to get the desired line integral.
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

A table of values of a function f with continuous gradient is given. Find the line integral over C of "gradient F dr" where C has parametric equations x = t2 + 1, y = t3 + t, 0<=t<= 1.

Sorry, don't know latex.

But here's a picture of the table and values
photo.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure what the problem wants me to do with the table. I "assume" since the problem says the table represents values of a function, that I should look at the table and construct a function from it. Well I have tried a few different ways and none of them can stay consistent for more than a line. I feel like this problem is easier than it seems.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: What does the fundamental theorem of gradients tell you?

gabbagabbahey said:
HINT: What does the fundamental theorem of gradients tell you?

So basically with that definition and the table provided, they were looking for you to just evaluate the function at its endpoints correct? I got the right answer, which is 6, but I don't know if what I did was the right way to do it. The parameter t ranges from 0 to 1, so I just plugged in 0 to the x and y components to get (1,0), which on the table=4. Then plugging in 1 for t in the components I got (2,2), which on the table =10. Subtracting the endpoint from the starting point gave me 6. Is this the correct way to do it?

And thank you for your help so far.

Yes, the as long as f(x,y)dx+ g(x,yy)dy is an "exact differential", that is, there exist F(x,y) such that dF= f(x)dx+ g(y)dy, then
[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1} f(x)dx+ g(y)dy= F(x(t_1),y(t_1))- F(x(t_0), y(t_0))[/tex]

Here, you are given that the F whose values are tabulated gives the required gradient. Since the path is apparently given by [itex]x = t^2 + 1[/itex], [itex]y = t^3 + t[/itex], [itex]0\le t\le 1[/itex], the endpoints are at (1, 0) and (2, 2).

Your integral is just F(2, 2)- F(1, 0) both of which can be read off the table.

Related to Line integral and continuous gradient

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total contribution of a vector field along a given curve or path. It involves breaking up the curve into small segments, calculating the contribution of the vector field at each segment, and then summing up all the contributions to get the total line integral.

2. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

While a regular integral calculates the area under a curve, a line integral calculates the contribution of a vector field along a curve. It involves considering both the magnitude and direction of the vector field, whereas a regular integral only considers the magnitude.

3. How is a line integral related to a continuous gradient?

A line integral is used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a path, while a continuous gradient represents the direction and magnitude of change of a function in space. Line integrals can be used to calculate the change in a function along a given path, making them closely related to continuous gradients.

4. What is the significance of line integrals in real-world applications?

Line integrals have many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force, the flux of a vector field through a surface, or the circulation of a fluid. They also have applications in computer graphics, where they are used to calculate the shading and lighting effects on a 3D surface.

5. How can I calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you will need to know the vector field, the path along which you want to calculate the integral, and the parametrization of the path. You can then use various methods, such as the fundamental theorem of line integrals or Green's theorem, to solve the integral. You can also use software or online tools to perform the calculations for you.