Limits of sequences of subsets

In summary, for the given set E_n = (n, n+2), the limsup is the empty set since the set is unbounded above. The liminf is the set [2,∞), meaning that any number greater than or equal to 2 is a lower limit of E_n. Being bounded by nothing and being bounded by infinity are not the same thing, with the former referring to an unbounded set and the latter referring to a set with a limit point of infinity. Keep up the good work in your studies!
spitz

Homework Statement

I'm just trying to find liminf and limsup for:

Homework Equations

[tex]E_n = (n, n+2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since every subset occurs a finite number of times, would I say that limsup is the empty set? Is being bounded by nothing the same thing as being bounded by infinity?

For liminf:

[tex]((1,3)\cap(2,4)\cap...)\cup((2,4)\cap(3,5)\cap...)\cup...[/tex]

I ended up with [tex][2,∞)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution for finding liminf and limsup for the given set E_n = (n, n+2). Your approach for finding limsup is correct. Since the set E_n is unbounded above, the limsup is the empty set.

For liminf, your approach is also correct. However, I would like to clarify that [2,∞) is not the liminf. It is the intersection of all the subsets (2,4), (3,5), etc. So, the liminf is the set [2,∞). This means that any number greater than or equal to 2 is a lower limit of E_n.

To answer your question about being bounded by nothing and being bounded by infinity, they are not the same thing. Being bounded by nothing means that the set is unbounded, as in the case of limsup for E_n. However, being bounded by infinity means that the set has a limit point of infinity, which is not the case for E_n.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of liminf and limsup for the given set. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Limits of sequences of subsets

1. What are the limits of sequences of subsets?

The limit of a sequence of subsets is the subset that contains all the elements that appear in the sequence infinitely often. It is the set of elements that the sequence approaches as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence of subsets?

To determine the limit of a sequence of subsets, you need to first find the intersection of all the subsets in the sequence. This intersection will be the limit of the sequence.

3. What is the difference between the limit of a sequence of subsets and the limit of a sequence of numbers?

The limit of a sequence of subsets is a set, while the limit of a sequence of numbers is a single value. In other words, the limit of a sequence of subsets is a collection of elements, while the limit of a sequence of numbers is the value that the sequence approaches.

4. Can a sequence of subsets have more than one limit?

Yes, a sequence of subsets can have more than one limit. This can happen when the subsets in the sequence have overlapping elements, causing the intersection to be a larger set.

5. How are the limits of sequences of subsets used in mathematics?

Limits of sequences of subsets are used in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and measure theory. They are used to study the convergence of sequences and to define important concepts such as continuity and compactness.