Limits of Integration for Revolving Region R around the y-axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of a solid generated by revolving region R, between the graph of function f and the x-axis, about the y-axis. The correct solution is found by setting up the integral entirely in either x or y, and using the coordinates of M(0,∞) and N(1,0) to determine the appropriate limits of integration.
vanceEE

Homework Statement

Let f be the function defined by $$ f(x) = - ln(x) for 0 < x ≤ 1. $$ R is the region between the graph of f and the x-axis.

http://learn.flvs.net/webdav/educator_apcalcbc_v10/module08/imgmod08/08_10_01.gif

b. Determine whether the solid generated by revolving region R about the y-axis has finite volume. If so, find the volume. If not, explain why.

Homework Equations

$$ y = -ln(x) $$
$$ x = e^{-y} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$V = \pi \int_{x=0^+}^{x=1} [e^{-y}]^2 dy $$
$$V = \pi\int_{∞}^{0} [e^{-2y}] dy $$
$$\uparrow$$ This is my mistake.
$$V = -\frac{\pi}{2}$$

The actual solution is $$V = \pi \int_{0}^{∞}[e^{-2y}] dy = \frac{\pi}{2}$$
But why are the limits of integration flipped? For part a, (Determine whether region R has a finite area. If so, find the area. If not, explain why.) my limits of integration were [x=0,x=1] $$ \int_{0^+}^{1} -ln(x) dx = 1 $$, so wouldn't I just set $$ e^{-y} $$ equal to 0 and 1 for part b? If not, please explain analytically why I need to flip my limits of integration, I can see from the graph that when x → 0, y → ∞ so please explain the problem analytically. The rotations about the y axes are very tricky for me and ANY advice would help :-) This is a very simple, but confusing concept.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, since ##y=-\ln x## is decreasing on ##(0,1]##, ##dy\sim-dx##. I would advise either setting up the integral entirely in ##x## and then making an obvious (?) substitution, or just set it up entirely in ##y## from the get-go. when you mix stuff up like you did (integrand in one variable, limits in another) in ends badly more often than not in my experience.

I just talked to my teacher and she told me that writing the coordinates are helpful when dealing with these type of problems. In this case they will be M(0,∞) and N(1,0) therefore, since we integrate with respect to x from left to right, my limits with respect to x will be $$ \int_{0}^{1} f(x)dx $$ and since we integrate with respect to y from bottom to top, my limits with respect to y will be $$ \int_{0}^{∞} g(y)dy $$

vanceEE said:
I just talked to my teacher and she told me that writing the coordinates are helpful when dealing with these type of problems. In this case they will be M(0,∞) and N(1,0) therefore, since we integrate with respect to x from left to right, my limits with respect to x will be $$ \int_{0}^{1} f(x)dx $$ and since we integrate with respect to y from bottom to top, my limits with respect to y will be $$ \int_{0}^{∞} g(y)dy $$

Yes. This is what I mean when I say to set things up entirely in one variable or the other. It's just much easier that way.

Related to Limits of Integration for Revolving Region R around the y-axis

What is the concept of limits of integration?

Limits of integration refer to the boundaries within which a mathematical function is integrated. These boundaries determine the range over which the integral is calculated.

Why are limits of integration important?

Limits of integration are important because they define the specific area or volume over which a mathematical function is integrated. Without these limits, the integral cannot be accurately calculated.

How do you determine the limits of integration?

Limits of integration can be determined by looking at the boundaries of the area or volume being integrated. These boundaries can be determined by the given problem or by graphing the function.

What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the integral will be calculated over the wrong area or volume. This will result in an inaccurate solution and can lead to errors in further calculations.

Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative. This could happen if the function being integrated has negative values within the given range. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the limits when setting up the integral.