Limits of Functions ....Conway, Proposition 2.1.2 .... ....

In summary, according to the author of this conversation, Conway is assuming that the limit of a function does not exist, and then proving that this implies that a certain sequence of points does not converge to the limit.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help with the logic of the proof of John Conway's proof of a Proposition concerning the limit of a function ...
I am reading John B. Conway's book: A First Course in Analysis and am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... and in particular I am focused on Section 2.1: Limits ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Proposition 2.1.2 ...Proposition 2.1.2 and its proof read as follows:
Conway - Proposition 2.1.2 ... .png

In the above proof by Conway we read the following:

" ... ... Now assume that ##f(a_n) \to L## whenever ##\{ a_n \}## is a sequence in ##X##\##\{a\}## that converges to ##a##, and let ##\epsilon \gt 0##. Suppose no ##\delta \gt 0## can be found can be found to satisfy the definition. ... ... "
Above Conway seems to me that he is assuming that ##f(a_n) \to L## and then assuming that the definition of ##f(a_n) \to L## doesn't hold true ... which seems invalid ...

Can someone explain Conway's logic ... can someone please explain what is actually being done in this part of the proof ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an "if and only if" proof. To prove P iff Q, you need to do two proofs. First, assume that P is true, and show that Q must also be true. Second, assume that Q is true, and then show that P is also true.

This implication of the proof is written down very badly imo.

The author proves an implication using contraposition/contradiction.

We prove ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)\neq L## implies that there is a sequence ##(a_n)_n## in ##X\setminus \{a\}## with ##a_n\to a## but with ##f(a_n)\not\to L##. Using contraposition on this statement, one of the implications follows.

So let's begin. Our assumption that the limit does not exist means:

##\exists \epsilon >0: \forall \delta >0: \exists x\in X\setminus \{a\}: |x-a|<\delta \land |f(x)-L|\geq \epsilon##

(This is just the negation of the definition of limit).

Fix an ##\epsilon## as above (this Conway's first unclarity: we can't take an arbitrary ##\epsilon##).

Put ##\delta_n:= 1/n## for ##n\geq 1## and choose an associated sequence ##(x_n)_n## in ##X## with ##0<|x_n-a|<\delta_n## and ##|f(x_n)-L|\geq \epsilon##. Letting ##n\to \infty##, we see that ##x_n\to a## but ##f(x_n)\not\to L##, as desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Math Amateur and PeroK
Mark44 said:
This is an "if and only if" proof. To prove P iff Q, you need to do two proofs. First, assume that P is true, and show that Q must also be true. Second, assume that Q is true, and then show that P is also true.

Yes but this is not the structure of the author's proof. Rather the author proves P is not true implies Q is not true (contraposition) which is of course equivalent with Q is true implies P is true.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
Above Conway seems to me that he is assuming that ##f(a_n) \to L## and then assuming that the definition of ##f(a_n) \to L## doesn't hold true ... which seems invalid ...

Can someone explain Conway's logic ... can someone please explain what is actually being done in this part of the proof ...

He is assuming that for every sequence ##f(a_n) \to L##, but yet ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = L## is not true.

Note that the proposition says that these two things are equivalent. Their definitions are quite similar and to accept one and deny the other leads quickly to a contradiction.

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
Yes but this is not the structure of the author's proof. Rather the author proves P is not true implies Q is not true (contraposition) which is of course equivalent with Q is true implies P is true.
I understand this. My point was that for an iff proof, you have to prove both statements by some means. I didn't include all of the possibilities; i.e., direct proof, contrapositive proof, proof by contradiction.

Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:
This implication of the proof is written down very badly imo.

The author proves an implication using contraposition/contradiction.

We prove ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)\neq L## implies that there is a sequence ##(a_n)_n## in ##X\setminus \{a\}## with ##a_n\to a## but with ##f(a_n)\not\to L##. Using contraposition on this statement, one of the implications follows.

So let's begin. Our assumption that the limit does not exist means:

##\exists \epsilon >0: \forall \delta >0: \exists x\in X\setminus \{a\}: |x-a|<\delta \land |f(x)-L|\geq \epsilon##

(This is just the negation of the definition of limit).

Fix an ##\epsilon## as above (this Conway's first unclarity: we can't take an arbitrary ##\epsilon##).

Put ##\delta_n:= 1/n## for ##n\geq 1## and choose an associated sequence ##(x_n)_n## in ##X## with ##0<|x_n-a|<\delta_n## and ##|f(x_n)-L|\geq \epsilon##. Letting ##n\to \infty##, we see that ##x_n\to a## but ##f(x_n)\not\to L##, as desired.
Thanks for a very helpful and clear explanation ...

I must say that Conway did not explain things very well ...

I think I'll switch to another text ...

Peter

Thanks to Math_QED, Mark44 and PeroK for your help ...

Peter

Likes member 587159

Related to Limits of Functions ....Conway, Proposition 2.1.2 .... ....

1. What is the definition of a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) as x approaches a.

2. How do you determine the limit of a function?

To determine the limit of a function, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, simplifying, or using the properties of limits. You can also use graphical methods by plotting the function and observing its behavior as the input approaches a certain value.

3. What is the importance of limits in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of functions as their inputs approach certain values. They are also used in calculus to define derivatives and integrals, which are essential concepts in many areas of science and engineering.

4. What is Proposition 2.1.2 in Conway's book about limits of functions?

Proposition 2.1.2 in Conway's book states that if a function f(x) has a limit L as x approaches a, then the limit of f(x) as x approaches a from the left is also L, and the limit as x approaches a from the right is also L.

5. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This can happen when the function has a "hole" or a removable discontinuity at that point. In this case, the limit exists but the function is not defined or does not take on the same value at that point.