Limits of Complex Expressions: Infinity or 0?

In summary: However, for our purposes, we only need the first few terms, so we can just use the general formula for the binomial expansion.
Dethrone
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} (x^3+\sqrt{x^6+x^3+1}\)
Multiplying top and bottom by \(\displaystyle x^3-\sqrt{x^6+x^3+1}\), we get:
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{x^3+1}{x^3-\sqrt{x^6+x^3+1}}\)
Dividing by the highest power:
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}{1-\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}}\)
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \frac{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}{1-\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^6}}}\)

The answer is still undefined, how can I proceed?

\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\sqrt[3]{x^3+x^2}-\sqrt[3]{x^3-x^2}\)
Factoring out an $x^3$
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}x(\sqrt[3]{1+\frac{1}{x}}-\sqrt[3]{1-\frac{1}{x}}) \)

What do I do now? Wolfram Alpha says the answer is infinity, but a student-written answer key says it is 0, because "the x outside the brackets goes to infinity, but the brackets will put it back to zero, eventually winning". That sounds like a very bad reason, but any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} \bigl(x^3+\sqrt{x^6+x^3+1}\bigr)\)
You don't need to multiply top and bottom by anything here. Each term is at least as large as $x^3$, so their sum gets very large as $x$ increases ... .
Rido12 said:
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\sqrt[3]{x^3+x^2}-\sqrt[3]{x^3-x^2}\)
Factoring out an $x^3$
\(\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}x\Bigl(\sqrt[3]{1+\frac{1}{x}}-\sqrt[3]{1-\frac{1}{x}}\Bigr) \)
Good start. Now use the binomial expansion $(1+s)^{1/ 3} = 1 + \frac13s +$ (higher powers of $s$), taking $s = \frac1x$ and then $-\frac1x$. You should find that the answer is neither $0$ nor infinity.

I've never formally learned binomial expansion. By what I've researched, does the expansion have an infinite number of terms for non-integer exponent values? If so, I will only need to do the first few terms, right? What is the formula that will give me the terms? And is this in any way related to taylor series expansion, or is it the taylor series expansion?

Anyways, in the meantime, I'll be using the series expansion as given by Wolfram Alpha, but I do want to learn how to get them after.

$$\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}x\Bigl([1+\frac{1}{3x}+\frac{1}{9x^2}...]-[1-\frac{1}{3x}-\frac{1}{9x^2}...]\Bigr)$$
$$\displaystyle =\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}[x+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{9x}...]-[x-\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{9x}...]$$
$$=\frac{2}{3}$$

Is that correct?
This question is from a Calc 1 exam... If it involves series expansion, I guess this is a really mean question. If anyone's curious as to where I got this question from: http://skule.ca/courses/exams/MAT194H1_20139_6313949059622013_final.pdf

Last edited:
The answer $2 /3$ is correct. Another way to do it, without using Newton's binomial theorem, is to rationalise the expression. Just as you can sometimes simplify $\sqrt a - \sqrt b $ by writing it as $\dfrac{(\sqrt a - \sqrt b)(\sqrt a + \sqrt b)}{\sqrt a + \sqrt b} = \dfrac{a-b}{\sqrt a + \sqrt b}$, so you can do the same sort of thing with cube roots. In fact, $$ a^{1 /3} - b^{1 /3} = \frac{(a^{1 /3} - b^{1 /3})(a^{2 /3} + a^{1 /3}b^{1 /3} + b^{2 /3})}{a^{2 /3} + a^{1 /3}b^{1 /3} + b^{2 /3}} = \frac{a-b}{a^{2 /3} + a^{1 /3}b^{1 /3} + b^{2 /3}}.$$ That trick will get you the answer $2 /3$ here, and it's probably the method that was intended in that exam.

Great! Was the binomial expansion that you were referring to a taylor series expansion?

Rido12 said:
Was the binomial expansion that you were referring to a taylor series expansion?
Yes, the binomial expansion of $(1+x)^r$ is the same as its Taylor series.

Related to Limits of Complex Expressions: Infinity or 0?

1. What is the definition of infinity?

Infinity is a concept in mathematics that represents something without any limit or end. It is often denoted by the symbol ∞ and is used to describe values that are larger than any real number.

2. Can complex expressions have an infinite limit?

Yes, complex expressions can have an infinite limit. This means that as the input values approach a certain point, the output values will increase without bound. This can happen when there are terms in the expression that involve division by zero or involve terms with increasing powers.

3. How can we determine the limit of a complex expression?

To determine the limit of a complex expression, we can use various techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or using L'Hôpital's rule. It is important to simplify the expression as much as possible before evaluating the limit.

4. What is the difference between a limit approaching infinity and a limit approaching 0?

A limit approaching infinity means that the input values are getting larger and larger, while a limit approaching 0 means that the input values are getting smaller and smaller. In both cases, the output values may approach infinity, 0, or a finite value.

5. Can a complex expression have a limit of both infinity and 0?

No, a complex expression can only have one limit as the input values approach a certain point. It cannot have both a limit of infinity and a limit of 0 at the same time.