Limits, find delta given epsilon

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct value for delta based on a given epsilon and limit of a function at a. It also addresses a potential mistake in the calculation of delta and clarifies the correct question being asked.
John O' Meara
A positive number epsilon (e) and a limit L of a function f at a are given. Find delta such that |f(x)-L|< epsilon if 0 < |x-a| < delta. [tex]\lim_{x->5}, 1/x= 1/5, \epsilon=.05[/tex]. That implies the following [tex] |\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{5}|< \epsilon \mbox{ if }|x-5|<\delta[/tex]. Which implies [tex] |\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{5}|< .05 \\ [/tex]. Which gives [tex].15< \frac{1}{x} < .25[/tex]. Which gives [tex]6\frac{2}{6}> x > 4 \mbox{ therefore } 1\frac{2}{3} < x-5< -1[/tex]. Which does not give the correct delta. I maybe rusty on algebra, as I am studying on my own. Could someone show me how to do it correctly. Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
John O' Meara said:
[tex]6\frac{2}{6}> x > 4 \mbox{ therefore } 1\frac{2}{3} < x-5< -1[/tex].

Here is your mistake. The condition is supposed to be [tex]|x-5|<\delta[/tex].

Do you mean that the arrows are the wrong way around [tex] 6\frac{2}{3}>x>4 \mbox{ therefore } 1\frac{2}{3}>x-5>-1[/tex].The actual answer to [tex]\delta = \frac{1}{505} [/tex]. But I cannot get it.

Are you sure you copied the question correctly? If you use 1/x ->5 as x->1/5 instead of the other way around you get that answer.

I checked out the question and I have copied it correctly, they must have meant [tex] \lim_{\frac{1}{x}->5} [/tex]. Thanks.

Related to Limits, find delta given epsilon

What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function at a particular point is the value that the function approaches as the input (x-value) gets closer and closer to that point. In other words, it is the value that the function "approaches" but may not necessarily equal at that point.

How do you find the limit of a function algebraically?

To find the limit of a function algebraically, you can use the limit laws and properties to simplify the function and then plug in the given x-value. If the resulting expression is undefined, you can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit.

What is the formal definition of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit states that for a function f(x), the limit as x approaches c is L if and only if for every positive number epsilon, there exists a corresponding positive number delta such that if the distance between x and c is less than delta, then the distance between f(x) and L is less than epsilon.

How do you find delta given epsilon for a given limit?

To find delta given epsilon, you can use the formal definition of a limit and work backwards. First, choose a suitable delta value and then use algebraic manipulation to solve for epsilon. If the limit exists, there will always be a delta value that satisfies the definition.

What is the significance of delta and epsilon in the definition of a limit?

Delta and epsilon are used in the definition of a limit to represent the idea of "closeness" or "proximity". Delta represents the distance between the input (x-value) and the given point, while epsilon represents the distance between the output (f(x)-value) and the limit value. Together, they define the idea of approaching a value without necessarily reaching it.