Limits, Differentiability, Continuity

In summary, if f is differentiable in an interval containing "a", but f' is discontinuous at a, then the one-sided limits lim f'(x) as x approaches a+ and lim f'(x) as x approaches a- cannot both exist. This is true even in the sense of being positive or negative infinity. To prove this, we can use Theorem 7 from our textbook, which states that if f is continuous at a and f'(x) exists for all x in an interval containing a (except perhaps at x=a), then f'(a) exists and is equal to the limit of f'(x) as x approaches a. However, since f is not continuous at a, we cannot use this
mscbuck

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is differentiable in some interval containing "a", but that [tex]f'[/tex] is discontinuous at a.

a.) The one-sided limits lim f'(x) as x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] a+ and lim f'(x) as x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]a- cannot both exist

b.)These one-sided limits cannot both exist even in the sense of being +Inf or -Inf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a.), I think I shall begin trying to take a manipulation of Theorem 7 in our book, which states that if f is continuous at a, and that f'(x) exists for all x in some interval containing a (except for perhaps at x - a), and if the lim f'(x) as x--> a exists, then f'(a) exists and f'(a) = lim f'(x) as x-->a

Is that the right place to start looking for proving part a.)? It seems that it's saying many of the same things, except our problem states that f is NOT continuous at a, but is differnetiable in some interval that contains A. I see what it says just reading it, but having some trouble putting it down onto paper

For part b.) I was told to use Darboux's Theorem, but am having trouble figuring out what it can say to help me prove part B.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would a proof by contradiction work better? Could we suppose that f' is indeed continuous at a hopefully to find something? I'm trying right now but not really getting anywhere :/

Related to Limits, Differentiability, Continuity

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no sudden changes or sharp corners. A differentiable function can be represented by a smooth curve on a graph.

How can I determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if there are no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. In other words, the function is continuous if its value at a specific point is equal to the limit of its value as the input approaches that point. This can be determined by looking at the graph of the function or by using mathematical methods such as the limit definition of continuity.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, meaning it has no sharp corners or breaks, but it is not smooth enough to have a derivative at every point. On the other hand, a differentiable function is always continuous, as a smooth function will not have any sudden changes in its graph.

How are limits, differentiability, and continuity related?

Limits, differentiability, and continuity are all important concepts in calculus that describe the behavior of a function. In general, a function is continuous if its limit exists, and a function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point. Therefore, differentiability implies continuity, and continuity implies the existence of limits.