Limiting Reagent Calculation for Zinc and Sulfur Reaction

In summary: But if they ask how much zinc will remain unchanged, then you would use the same equation but with Zn instead of S.In summary, all of the sulfur will react with part of the zinc, leaving 1.82 grams of zinc left.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

4.0 g of sulfur and 10.0 g of zinc are heated together, how much zinc will remain unreacted?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If these two elements are heated together, wouldn't the total mass (g) be 14.0 by adding the amount of sulfur and zinc together. I'm thinking half of the zinc would remain unreacted

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a limiting reagent problem; are you familiar with those?

The sulfur and zinc will form one compound. And since the problem already tells you that not all the zinc will react, you'll find out exactly how much will react, based off of the grams of sulfur you have.

Well, i just started ap chem and i have no clue about the law of constant composition. Therefore, as you say, not all of the zinc will react, but how exactly do you find out how much zinc will not react

Do you know what compound is made with zinc and sulfur?

Wouldn't it make zinc sulfide?

And what's the formula for zinc sulfide? Then write the complete equation for the reaction.

Is the formula ZnS2? I'm thinking since its sulfide then it would be bottom squared for S.

priscilla98 said:
Is the formula ZnS2? I'm thinking since its sulfide then it would be bottom squared for S.

Not quite, think of what the charges are for Zn and S as ions.

ok the charge for Zn is + 2 and the charge for S is - 2. So wouldn't the charges cross out and it would be just ZnS?

Right, so the equation is Zn + S → ZnS.

Since some of the zinc remains unreacted, that means all of the sulfur will react with part of the zinc.
Now given 4.0 g S, how could we start finding out how much Zn will react with that?

Ok i think I am starting to understand it.

Moles of Zn = 10 g./65.4 g/mole = 0.153 moles

Moles of S = 4g/32.1 g/mole = 0.125 moles

Per the reaction Zn and S react in a 1:1 ratio so when the 0.125 mole of S are consumed the reaction will stop and 0.153-0.125 = 0.028 moles of Zn will remain.

0.028 mole(65.4g/mole) = 1.82 grams of Zn remain

But would it be the same answer if they ask how much sulfur will remain unchanged?

You got the answer, good job. :smile:

Asking how much sulfur will remain unchanged wouldn't make sense since all of it (theoretically) would be used up because it is the limiting reagent and there is excess zinc.

Related to Limiting Reagent Calculation for Zinc and Sulfur Reaction

What is the Law of Constant Composition?

The Law of Constant Composition, also known as the Law of Definite Proportions, states that a pure compound always contains the same elements in the same proportions by mass. This means that no matter how much of the compound is present, the ratio of elements remains constant.

Who discovered the Law of Constant Composition?

The Law of Constant Composition was discovered by French chemist Joseph Louis Proust in the late 1700s.

Why is the Law of Constant Composition important?

The Law of Constant Composition is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the composition of substances and allows for the prediction of the masses of elements present in a compound. This law also helps in the identification and characterization of substances.

How is the Law of Constant Composition applied in chemistry?

The Law of Constant Composition is applied in chemistry through various analytical techniques, such as mass spectrometry and chromatography, to determine the elemental composition of a compound. It is also used in stoichiometry calculations to determine the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

Are there any exceptions to the Law of Constant Composition?

While the Law of Constant Composition holds true for most pure substances, there are a few exceptions. Isotopes of an element may have slightly different masses, leading to a slight variation in the elemental composition of a compound. Additionally, some compounds, such as polymers, may have varying proportions of elements due to their structure.