Limit with cube and fourth root

In summary, the conversation discusses a limit involving a complicated expression with radicals. The participants suggest using a polynomial division method to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit. One participant suggests getting rid of the difference in both the numerator and denominator, which leads to an easy evaluation of the limit's behavior.
twoflower
Hi guys, I have another limit I can't move with. Well, I guess it goes to zero, but can't show a bulletproof evidence:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ \sqrt[4]{n + 2} - \sqrt[4]{n + 1}}{ \sqrt[3]{n + 3} - \sqrt[3]{n}}
[/tex]

Even after I got rid of denominator, I can't find some known lemma to show that this limit is really 0. Will somebody help me to find any?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. For your numerator:
Set:
[tex]a=\sqrt[4]{n+2}[/tex]
[tex]b=\sqrt[4]{n+1}[/tex]
Show that (for example by polynomial division):
[tex]a^{4}-b^{4}=(a-b)(a^{3}+a^{2}b+ab^{2}+b^{3})[/tex]
2. Use a similar technique for your denominator.
It should now be quite simple to evaluate your limit.

arildno said:
1. For your numerator:
Set:
[tex]a=\sqrt[4]{n+2}[/tex]
[tex]b=\sqrt[4]{n+1}[/tex]
Show that (for example by polynomial division):
[tex]a^{4}-b^{4}=(a-b)(a^{3}+a^{2}b+ab^{2}+b^{3})[/tex]
2. Use a similar technique for your denominator.
It should now be quite simple to evaluate your limit.

Yes I used this method to get rid of denominator, hence I got this:

[tex]
\frac{1}{3} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{(n+3)^2} + \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{n^2+3n} + \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{n^2} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{(n+3)^2} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{n^2+3n} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{n^2} \right)
[/tex]

I tried to divide it somehow with the largest term but the only thing I got were undeterminate forms like [itex]0. \infty[/itex]

please... i don't know how to solve the limits that its denominator is from 8th or 5th or...etc degree! what should i do to solve such a quesion?!

Let's take a second look at that limit:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} ((n+2)^{\frac{1}{4}}-(n+1)^{\frac{1}{4}})\frac{1}{3}((n+3)^{\frac{2}{3}}+(n)^{\frac{1}{3}}(n+3)^{\frac{1}{3}}+n^{\frac{2}{3}})[/tex]

Can be bounded above since [itex](n+3)^\frac{1}{3}>(n)^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} ((n+2)^{\frac{1}{4}}-(n+1)^{\frac{1}{4}})(n+3)^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
But that's equal to
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+3)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{((n+2)^\frac{1}{4}+(n+1)^\frac{1}{4})((n+2)^\frac{1}{2}+(n+1)^\frac{1}{2})}[/tex]
which is bounded above by
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+3)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{4(n+1)^\frac{3}{4}}[/tex]
Which has a larger exponet on bottom, so it goes to zero.

twoflower said:
Yes I used this method to get rid of denominator, hence I got this:

[tex]
\frac{1}{3} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{(n+3)^2} + \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{n^2+3n} + \sqrt[4]{n+2}.\sqrt[3]{n^2} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{(n+3)^2} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{n^2+3n} - \sqrt[4]{n+1}.\sqrt[3]{n^2} \right)
[/tex]

I tried to divide it somehow with the largest term but the only thing I got were undeterminate forms like [itex]0. \infty[/itex]
But this is not at all what you should do!
You should get rid of the difference both in the denominator AND numerator.
Then you'll end up with:
[tex]\frac{(n+3)^{\frac{2}{3}}+(n+3)^{\frac{1}{3}}n^{\frac{1}{3}}+n^{\frac{2}{3}}}{3((n+2)^{\frac{3}{4}}+(n+2)^{\frac{2}{4}}(n+1)^{\frac{1}{4}}+(n+2)^{\frac{1}{4}}(n+1)^{\frac{2}{4}}+(n+1)^{\frac{3}{4}})}[/tex]
This is easy to evaluate, the leading order behavior is [tex]\frac{1}{4n^{\frac{1}{12}}}, n\to\infty[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Limit with cube and fourth root

1. What is a limit with cube and fourth root?

A limit with cube and fourth root refers to a mathematical concept where the value of a function or expression is evaluated as it approaches a certain point or value, specifically when the function contains a cube root and a fourth root.

2. How do you calculate a limit with cube and fourth root?

To calculate a limit with cube and fourth root, you can use the rules of limits and apply them to the specific function. This may involve factoring, simplifying, or using algebraic manipulations to determine the limit value.

3. What is the significance of a limit with cube and fourth root in mathematics?

Limits with cube and fourth root are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function as it approaches a particular value. They are also used to solve various problems in fields such as calculus, physics, and engineering.

4. Can a limit with cube and fourth root have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit with cube and fourth root can have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple values of the variable that satisfy the limit definition, or when the limit does not exist due to a discontinuity or infinite oscillation.

5. Are there any special techniques for evaluating limits with cube and fourth root?

There are various techniques that can be used to evaluate limits with cube and fourth root, such as L'Hopital's Rule, substitution, and using trigonometric identities. The specific technique used may depend on the complexity of the function and the desired outcome.