Limit Ratio Test: Solving $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^n}$$

In summary, for the series $$ \sum_{n=1} ^\infty\frac{1} {2^n} $$ the ratio test can be used to show convergence, and the limit is equal to 1/2. This series is also a geometric series with ratio r=1/2, and its sum can be calculated using the formula \sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}. However, since the given series starts at n=1 instead of n=0, the formula must be modified to subtract off the first term, resulting in a sum of 1/2. Starting the series at n=0 or n=1 does not affect the convergence
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

$$ \sum_{n=1} ^\infty\frac{1} {2^n} $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know just by looking at it that it converges no problem. You do the ratio test and you get something of the form

[itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac{2^n}{2^{n+1}}}
[/itex]

If $$2^n$$ goes to infinity. And $$2^{n+1}$$ does also. Then how is this equal to 1/2 ?It should be infinity over infinity. Which I know it can't be since I already know it converges by looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you take the limit, simplify [itex]\frac{2^{n}}{2^{n+1}}[/itex].

Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

$$ \sum_{n=1} ^\infty\frac{1} {2^n} $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know just by looking at it that it converges no problem. You do the ratio test and you get something of the form [itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac{2^n}{2^{n+1}}}
[/itex]If $$2^n$$ goes to infinity. And $$2^{n+1}$$ does also. Then how is this equal to 1/2 ?It should be infinity over infinity. Which I know it can't be since I already know it converges by looking.

Because
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{2^n}{2^{n+1}}= \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{2^n}{2 \cdot 2^n} = \frac 1 2$$

GRRRRRR! Thanks.

In fact, except for the fact that the sum starts at n= 1 rather than n= 0, that's a geometric series. It is easy to show that [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]. Calculate that with r=1/2 then subtract off the value when n= 0, which is [tex](1/2)^0= 1[/tex].

Yeah I saw it was geometric they just wanted me to to use the ratio test. It is funny you mention this. I want to know why does it matter whether you start and n =1 or n =0. ?

Jbreezy said:
Yeah I saw it was geometric they just wanted me to to use the ratio test. It is funny you mention this. I want to know why does it matter whether you start and n =1 or n =0. ?

For checking convergence, it doesn't matter whether you start with 0 or 1.
If you want to find the actual value of the sum, then it does matter because

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} r^n = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} r^n[/tex]

So the results are different.

The original was ##\sum_{n=1} ^\infty\frac{1} {2^n}##

Why would you not just do

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}##

notice n starts at 1. Why did Halls of Ivy change it then subtract off the one? I mean I get why but why not just start with the original at n = 1 and sum? Does my question make any sense?

Jbreezy said:
The original was ##\sum_{n=1} ^\infty\frac{1} {2^n}##

Why would you not just do

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}##

notice n starts at 1. Why did Halls of Ivy change it then subtract off the one? I mean I get why but why not just start with the original at n = 1 and sum? Does my question make any sense?

Because

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]

is not true. The equality is only true when ##n## starts with ##0##.

That said, we do have

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r} = -1+\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n = -1+\frac{1}{1-r} = \frac{r}{1-r}[/tex]

Last edited:
You wrote ..$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r} = -1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n = -1+\frac{1}{1-r} = \frac{r}{1-r}$$

Did you mean...

$$\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r} = -1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n = -1+\frac{1}{1-r} = \frac{r}{1-r}$$
? Or I'm mistaken?
Thank you !

Neither. I have corrected the post. Thanks for spotting the error!

Related to Limit Ratio Test: Solving $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^n}$$

What is the Limit Ratio Test?

The Limit Ratio Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It is based on the comparison of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series to a known limit.

How does the Limit Ratio Test work?

To use the Limit Ratio Test, you take the ratio of each term in the series to the next term and find the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

Can the Limit Ratio Test be used for all infinite series?

No, the Limit Ratio Test can only be used for series that have positive terms. It also cannot be used for alternating series or series with terms that do not approach zero as n approaches infinity.

What is the purpose of using the Limit Ratio Test?

The purpose of using the Limit Ratio Test is to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. This information is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

Is the Limit Ratio Test always accurate?

While the Limit Ratio Test is a useful tool for determining convergence or divergence, it is not always accurate. There are some series that may pass the test but do not actually converge, or vice versa. Therefore, it is important to use other tests and methods to confirm the results.