Limit properties laplace transform

In summary, the laplace transform is a mathematical tool that can be used to study periodic functions. It has two limit theorems that describe how the function will behave in the long term.
vrc
hello,

I'am stuying the laplace transform and have problems with understanding the follow thing my course says:

lim s->+inf F(s)=lim t->0 f(t)
lim s->0 F(s)=lim t->+inf. f(t)

I would like to understand it because I have the feeling that this are important properties.

Thank you very much !

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, maybe I'm making a dumb mistake, but I don't think this is true. For instance, let [itex]f(t) = 1[/itex]. The Laplace Transform of f is [itex]F(s) = \frac{1}{s}[/itex]. [itex]lim_{s\to\infty}F(s) = 0[/itex]. [itex]lim_{t\to 0}f(t) = 1[/itex].

Could it be that there are some other conditions on these limit theorems that you forgot to mention?

this is what's written in my course:

first the derivation (not mathematical derivation!) of the laplace transform of a periodic funtion f
than comes those properties, the source where it comes from says: form mechanical point of view this are limit properties of the laplace transform form a function f(t)

there are no specific assumptions for those equations written but indeed it doens't make sense...

thank you

vrc said:
this is what's written in my course:

first the derivation (not mathematical derivation!) of the laplace transform of a periodic funtion f...
Ah! Well, that's at least one condition you didn't mention. You didn't say in the OP that f was periodic.

But it still doesn't seem to work. For instance, the Laplace transform of cos(t) is s/(1+s2). This goes to 0 as s->infinity, but cos(0) = 1.

no no,

it's about a function f(t) but never explicit formulated that this is a periodic function...
de derivation of de laplace transform of a periodic function is just on the same space
have not the idea of a link between them.

The only thing it says is that from mechanical side those limit properties are derived...
don't understand it..

htank you

What does "from mechanical side" mean?

I think you're talking about the initial and final value theorems. If this is the case, you've written them down wrong. They state:

IVT: f(0+) = lim(s->Infinity) s*F(s)
FVT: f(Infinity) = lim(s->0) s*F(s)

These theorems only work if the poles of the Laplace transform are on the left hand side of the y-axis. They are helpful in mechanical system dynamics because you don't have to do the partial fraction decomposition in order to find out what the system will do in the long term.

I suppose , Idon't have to worry about I don't understand it because I didn't examinate the mechanical system dynamics linked to laplace transform yet.

Anyway thank you vm !

Related to Limit properties laplace transform

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

What are the properties of a Laplace transform?

Some common properties of Laplace transforms include linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties allow for easier manipulation and analysis of functions in the frequency domain.

How are limits used in Laplace transforms?

Limits are used in Laplace transforms to determine the behavior of a function in the frequency domain as the input variable approaches a certain value. This can help in understanding the stability and convergence of a system.

Can Laplace transforms be used for any function?

In theory, Laplace transforms can be applied to any function that satisfies certain conditions. However, in practical applications, it may not be possible to find the Laplace transform for all functions.

What are some applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to solve differential equations, analyze electrical and mechanical systems, and model complex systems in various fields such as control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis.