Laplace transform of derivatives

In summary, the convention used in electrical engineering is to use the Laplace transform defined as\mathcal{L}[f(t)] = \int_{0^-}^\infty \, f(t) \, e^{-pt} \, dt
LagrangeEuler
I have a question regarding Laplace transforms of derivatives
[tex]\mathcal{L}[f'(t)]=p\mathcal{L}[f(t)]−f(0^−)[/tex]
Can anyone explain me why ##0^-##?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
I have a question regarding Laplace transforms of derivatives
[tex]\mathcal{L}[f'(t)]=p\mathcal{L}[f(t)]−f(0^−)[/tex]
Can anyone explain me why ##0^-##?
This convention is often used in some engineering disciplines - it is the approach I learned in my signals and systems class as an electrical engineering major and continue to use in my job in industry. In this approach, the Laplace transform is defined as
$$ \mathcal{L}[f(t)] = \int_{0^-}^\infty \, f(t) \, e^{-pt} \, dt $$
Where the lower limit of integration is simply the left-sided limit. This does two things: first, it makes it clear that the Laplace transform of the delta function is unity (of course the integral is symbolic in this case). Second, it allows us to use pre-initial conditions when using Laplace transforms to solve circuit problems that include a switch that is thrown at t=0. A good summary of the benefits of this approach is

https://math.mit.edu/~hrm/papers/lmt.pdf

jason

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes scottdave, LagrangeEuler, DaveE and 1 other person
Consider a function $$f(t)=e^{-1/t}.$$
There is no problem with the standard formula here:
$$\mathcal L(f')=p\mathcal L(f)-f(0+)$$
And what about the formula
$$\mathcal L(f')=p\mathcal L(f)-f(0-)$$
?

Likes DaveE
wrobel said:
Consider a function $$f(t)=e^{-1/t}.$$
There is no problem with the standard formula here:
$$\mathcal L(f')=p\mathcal L(f)-f(0+)$$
And what about the formula
$$\mathcal L(f')=p\mathcal L(f)-f(0-)$$
?
Good question.

If I were considering that kind of problem I would use the transform defined by $$ \mathcal{L}[f(t)] = \int_{0^+}^{\infty} f(t) \, e^{-pt} \, dt $$
which of course has the derivative rule you state. I’m a firm believer in selecting the right tool for the job.

The convention the OP mentioned fails for this case of course. It is more convenient for a different class of problems - especially those described by systems of constant coefficient ODEs. First, we are often interested in solutions for delta function inputs. Second, for linear circuit problems with a switch that is thrown at ##t=0##, the voltage across an inductor and the current through a capacitor can be discontinuous. We usually know the values at ##t=0^-## prior to throwing the switch, and it takes real work to figure out what the values will be at ##t=0^+## in order to apply the derivative rule you stated.

Of course, your convention can work for the circuit problems as well, but it just involves a lot more work.

Jason

Likes scottdave and DaveE
jasonRF said:
I’m a firm believer in selecting the right tool for the job.
Then one must provide precise definitions, theorems and proofs. In this respect the text you cited above is very bad.
For example look at the bottom of page 5:

" A function f (t) defined on the
interval [0, ∞) is piecewise smooth if there is a sparse set
S ⊂ [0, ∞) such that all of the derivatives of f (t) exist on
the complement of S and have left and right limits at 0"

Once again: a function is defined on ##[0,\infty)## and it has left limit at 0.

And the text is full of such things!

wrobel said:
Then one must provide precise definitions, theorems and proofs. In this respect the text you cited above is very bad.
For example look at the bottom of page 5:

" A function f (t) defined on the
interval [0, ∞) is piecewise smooth if there is a sparse set
S ⊂ [0, ∞) such that all of the derivatives of f (t) exist on
the complement of S and have left and right limits at 0"

Once again: a function is defined on ##[0,\infty)## and it has left limit at 0.

And the text is full of such things!
Fair enough. I primarily provided the reference in case folks were really interested in the motivation for the specific Laplace transform definition that the OP was asking about. For motivation I thought it was very good, even if it fails in the rigor department.

jason

What is the Laplace transform of a derivative?

The Laplace transform of a derivative is a mathematical operation that transforms a derivative function into a new function in the Laplace domain. This new function is represented by the Laplace transform of the original function.

Why is the Laplace transform of derivatives useful in science?

The Laplace transform of derivatives is useful in science because it allows us to solve differential equations, which are commonly used to model physical systems. By transforming the derivative functions into the Laplace domain, we can solve these equations more easily and accurately.

How do you calculate the Laplace transform of a derivative?

To calculate the Laplace transform of a derivative, you can use the property of differentiation in the Laplace transform. This states that the Laplace transform of a derivative is equal to s times the Laplace transform of the original function minus the initial value of the function at t=0.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of a derivative?

The inverse Laplace transform of a derivative is the original function in the time domain. This means that if we have the Laplace transform of a derivative, we can use inverse Laplace transform to find the original function.

Can the Laplace transform of derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, the Laplace transform of derivatives can be applied to any function as long as the function satisfies the conditions for the Laplace transform to exist. These conditions include the function being of exponential order and having a finite number of discontinuities on a finite interval.