Limit problem (sin*polynomial)

• MHB
  • Thread starter bennyzadir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a limit problem without using L'Hospital's rule. The first step is to apply partial fraction decomposition to the rational function and expand the limit. Then, using the identity $\sin u/u = 1$, two of the three terms can be evaluated. The remaining term should be transformed to fit the identity, and then the limit can be determined.
bennyzadir
I would really appreciate if you could help me solving this limit problem!

Determine the limit without using L'Hospital's rule!

$$ \lim_{x\to -2} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})\frac{x^2+1}{x+2} = ?$$

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know or have proved (or in general are allowed to use) the limit below?
$$\lim_{u \to 0} \frac{\sin{u}}{u} = 1$$
If so, apply partial fraction decomposition to the rational function (the quotient of the two polynomials; that's not actually a polynomial) and expand the limit. You can then evaluate two of the three terms, and for the remaining term try and get it in the form of the limit above for some $u$ to determine the limit of your expression. Good luck!

zadir said:
I would really appreciate if you could help me solving this limit problem!

Determine the limit without using L'Hospital's rule!

$$ \lim_{x\to -2} \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})\frac{x^2+1}{x+2} = ?$$

Thank you in advance!

Take into account the simple identity...

$\displaystyle \sin \frac{\pi\ x}{2} = - \sin (\frac{\pi\ x}{2} + \pi) = - \sin [\frac{\pi}{2}\ (x+ 2)]\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Limit problem (sin*polynomial)

What is a limit problem involving sin and polynomial?

A limit problem involving sin and polynomial is a mathematical exercise that involves finding the limit of a function that contains both trigonometric (sin) and polynomial terms. It is used to determine the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, or as it reaches infinity.

How do I solve a limit problem with sin and polynomial?

To solve a limit problem with sin and polynomial, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and L'Hôpital's rule. These techniques help to simplify the function and eliminate any indeterminate forms, making it easier to evaluate the limit.

What are the possible indeterminate forms in a limit problem with sin and polynomial?

The possible indeterminate forms in a limit problem with sin and polynomial are 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, and ∞-∞. These forms occur when the limit of the function cannot be determined by direct substitution and requires additional steps to evaluate.

Can I use a calculator to solve a limit problem with sin and polynomial?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a limit problem with sin and polynomial. However, it is important to note that calculators can only provide an approximate answer and may not show the steps involved in the solution. It is recommended to use a calculator as a tool to check your work, rather than relying solely on its output.

What real-life applications use limit problems with sin and polynomial?

Limit problems with sin and polynomial have various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, limit problems can be used to determine the velocity of an object at a specific time, while in economics, they can be used to analyze the growth of a company's revenue over time.