Limit Points of Unbounded Interval

In summary: A but in this case we have already proved that $[-\infty, 0]$ subsets the closure and we also know that all points in $[-\infty, 0)$ are limit points of A. So, any point in the closure must be either in $[-\infty, 0]$ or a limit point of A, thus making $[-\infty, 0]$ equal to the closure. Therefore, the closure of $A = [-\infty, 0]$.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to prove that the closure of $A = [-\infty,0)$ is $[-\infty,0]$. So far, I have proved that all points in $[-\infty, 0)$ are limit points of A, then I have proved that $\sup A = 0$, so it is in the closure, so $[-\infty, 0]$ subsets the closure.

But how do I know that it is equal to the closure?

Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to prove that the closure of $A = [-\infty,0)$ is $[-\infty,0]$. So far, I have proved that all points in $[-\infty, 0)$ are limit points of A, then I have proved that $\sup A = 0$, so it is in the closure, so $[-\infty, 0]$ subsets the closure.

But how do I know that it is equal to the closure?

you have to prove that the closure is subset of $[-\infty, 0]$
In general if want to prove that
$A = B $
we have to prove the subset in both sides
A subset of B
B subset of A
how ? the easiest way ( usually ) let x in A prove it is in B this give A subset of B
and let x in B prove it is in A this give B subset of A
x arbitrary element

Related to Limit Points of Unbounded Interval

1. What is the definition of a limit point of an unbounded interval?

A limit point of an unbounded interval is a point that is not contained within the interval itself, but is infinitely close to the interval. It is a point where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many points from the interval.

2. How do you determine whether a point is a limit point of an unbounded interval?

A point x is a limit point of an unbounded interval if and only if every neighborhood of x contains infinitely many points from the interval. This means that no matter how small the neighborhood is, there will always be points from the interval that are contained within it.

3. Can an unbounded interval have multiple limit points?

Yes, an unbounded interval can have multiple limit points. In fact, an unbounded interval can have infinitely many limit points, depending on the properties of the interval and the set of numbers it contains.

4. Are limit points of an unbounded interval always included in the interval?

No, limit points of an unbounded interval are not always included in the interval. In fact, limit points are usually not included in the interval itself, as they are points that are infinitely close to the interval but not contained within it.

5. What is the relationship between limit points and open sets in an unbounded interval?

Limit points and open sets have a close relationship in an unbounded interval. In fact, every open set in an unbounded interval contains at least one limit point, and every limit point of an unbounded interval is contained within at least one open set. This relationship is important in understanding the properties of unbounded intervals.