Limit of sequence n^p/e^n as n approaches infinity

In summary, the conversation is discussing the mathematical derivation of the solution for the limit (n^p)/(e^n) as n approaches infinity, where p is a positive number. The solution is 0 and the conversation includes a discussion of L'Hopital's rule and the importance of treating operations with a variable number of times differently than those with a constant number of times. The conversation also mentions using p iterations of L'Hopital's rule and the more general case for p not being a positive integer.
alex_dc1
Simple question just as the title says, but I can't remember or derive the solution for the life of me. I know that the answer is 0. I know why the answer is 0. But I need to know the mathematical derivation of the solution, and that's the part that I can't remember. So, to reiterate, how do you find:

lim (n^p)/(e^n) as n→∞, where p>0

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I think I just figured it out, but I want to make sure this makes sense:

(n^p)/(e^n) =

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p)...

where:

lim n/e^(n/p) as n→∞ is (by L'hopital's rule) equal to:

*edit for the correct derivative:
lim 1/[ (1/p) * e^(n/p) ] n →∞ is equal to 0, therefore:

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p)... is equal to 0 * 0 * 0 * 0... therefore,

lim (n^p)/(e^n) as n→∞ is equal to 0

Does that make sense, or am I just making crap up?

Last edited:
Um, p-iterations of L'Hospital's rule would be much clearer, I think. The limit is certainly 0, but I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I've never heard that term before. Would that basically state that the p-th derivative of n^p equals (p!)?

alex_dc1 said:
Wait, I think I just figured it out, but I want to make sure this makes sense:

(n^p)/(e^n) =

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p)...

where:

lim n/e^(n/p) as n→∞ is (by L'hopital's rule) equal to:

*edit for the correct derivative:
lim 1/[ (1/p) * e^(n/p) ] n →∞ is equal to 0, therefore:

n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p) * n/e^(n/p)... is equal to 0 * 0 * 0 * 0... therefore,

lim (n^p)/(e^n) as n→∞ is equal to 0

Does that make sense, or am I just making crap up?

That reminds me of the "proof" that the derivative of x^2 is just "x". Since x^n is just x added to itself n times, x^x is x added to itself x times: x^x= (x+ x+ x+ ...+ x) and therefore the derivative is (x^x)'= (1+ 1+ 1+ ...+ 1) x times which is equal to x.

That's wrong because you cannot treat doing an operation a variable number of times the same as doing it a constant number of times.

lineintegral is suggesting that you use L'Hopital's rule p times (that's what "p iteration" means). Each time you differentiate the numerator you get a lower power of nwhile the denominator is always e^n. After differentiating p times you have just p! in the numerator and e^n in the denominator. Now take the limit as n goes to infinity.

Strictly speaking, that only works for p a positive integer. For the more general case, write n^p as e^(ln(n^p)= e^(p ln(n)) so that n^p/e^n= e^(pln(n)- n) and look at the limit of pln(n)- n as n goes to infinity.

Related to Limit of sequence n^p/e^n as n approaches infinity

1. What is the limit of the sequence n^p/e^n as n approaches infinity?

The limit of this sequence is 0.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence as n approaches infinity?

To determine the limit, first find the highest power of n in the numerator and the denominator. If the power in the denominator is greater than the power in the numerator, the limit is 0. If the power in the numerator is greater, the limit is infinity. If the powers are equal, divide the coefficients of the highest power terms and that will be the limit.

3. Can the limit of a sequence be negative?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be negative. It is determined by the behavior of the sequence as n approaches infinity, not just the sign of the final value.

4. What does it mean if the limit of a sequence is 0?

If the limit of a sequence is 0, it means that as n gets larger and larger, the sequence gets closer and closer to 0. In other words, the values in the sequence are decreasing and approaching 0.

5. How does the value of p affect the limit of the sequence n^p/e^n as n approaches infinity?

The value of p affects the limit in that if p is greater than 1, the limit will be 0. If p is less than 1, the limit will be infinity. And if p is equal to 1, the limit will be e^-1. This can be seen by plugging in values for p and evaluating the limit.