Limit of Product Cosine | Double-Angle Formulas for Sine | (0,π/2) Range

In summary, the problem is to calculate for x\in(0,\pi/2), \lim_{N\rightarrow\infty}\prod_{n=0}^{N}cos(\frac{x}{2^{n}}). Using the Double-Angle Formulas for sine, we can rewrite the product as a limit of sin(c*x)/c, where c=1/(2^N). Another method is to use the fact that cos(x/2^n) is the real part of exp(ix/2^n) to simplify the product into a geometric series. However, this trick may not always make the problem easier.
gop

Homework Statement

Calculate for [tex]x\in(0,\pi/2)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{N\rightarrow\infty}\prod_{n=0}^{N}cos(\frac{x}{2^{n}})[/tex]

Hint: Use the Double-Angle Formulas for the sine.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]cos(x)\cdot cos(\frac{x}{2})\cdot cos(\frac{x}{4})\cdot...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{2\cdot\sin x}\cdot\frac{\sin x}{2\cdot\sin x/2}\cdot\frac{\sin x/2}{2\cdot\sin x/4}\cdot...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\cdot...\cdot\frac{1}{2\cdot\sin x/N}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin2x}{\sin(x/{2^N})\cdot2^{N}}[/tex]
However, now I have to resolve the 0*infinity in the denom. But how do I resolve that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the N in sin(x/N) be like sin(x/(2^N))?

yes, of course. I updated the information.

Then your denominator is a simple limit. It looks like limit c-> 0 of sin(c*x)/c, where c=1/(2^N).

BTW, make sure you've counted the 2's in the denominator correctly. I'm finding an extra one.

that, of course, works. thanks you a lot.

An alternative method that I find quite nice is to use the fact that cos(x/2^n) is the real part of exp(ix/2^n). The product of the exponentials becomes an easy geometric series in the exponent =]

You can also use a 'collapsing product'.

Note,
[tex]A_4 = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8} \cos \frac{x}{16}[/tex]
Then,
[tex]\sin \frac{x}{16} A_4 = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8} \cos \frac{x}{16} \sin \frac{x}{16}[/tex]
So,
[tex]2A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \cos \frac{x}{8}\sin \frac{x}{8}[/tex]
Again,
[tex]4A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{4} \sin \frac{x}{4}[/tex]
Again,
[tex]8A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \cos \frac{x}{2} \sin \frac{x}{2}[/tex]
Last time,
[tex]16A_4\sin \frac{x}{16} = \sin x[/tex]
That means (since [tex]x\in (0,\pi/2)[/tex])
[tex]A_4 = \frac{\sin x}{2^4 \sin \frac{x}{2^4}}[/tex]
And in general,
[tex]A_n = \frac{\sin x}{2^n \sin \frac{x}{2^n}}[/tex]

Gib Z said:
An alternative method that I find quite nice is to use the fact that cos(x/2^n) is the real part of exp(ix/2^n). The product of the exponentials becomes an easy geometric series in the exponent =]

Did you try doing it that way? I take the product of the exponentials and I get exp(i*2*x). Now what? The real part of that doesn't have much to do with the product of the real parts of the terms. That trick doesn't ALWAYS make things easier.

Damn It I assumed that the Real part of a product is equal to the product of the real part :( Never mind me =]

Related to Limit of Product Cosine | Double-Angle Formulas for Sine | (0,π/2) Range

1. What is the definition of the limit of a product cos?

The limit of a product cos is a mathematical concept that determines the value that a function approaches as its input variable approaches a specific value. It is represented by the notation limx→a f(x) and can be thought of as the value that the function gets closer and closer to, but never actually reaches, as the input approaches the given value.

2. How is the limit of a product cos calculated?

The limit of a product cos is calculated by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the given value and observing the pattern of the resulting values. If the values are approaching a specific number, that number is the limit. If the values are approaching different numbers from the left and right sides of the given value, the limit does not exist.

3. What are the properties of the limit of a product cos?

The properties of the limit of a product cos include linearity, meaning that the limit of a sum or difference of two functions is equal to the sum or difference of their respective limits. It also follows the product rule, meaning that the limit of a product of two functions is equal to the product of their respective limits. Additionally, it follows the quotient rule, meaning that the limit of a quotient of two functions is equal to the quotient of their respective limits (as long as the denominator is not approaching 0).

4. How is the limit of a product cos used in real-world applications?

The limit of a product cos is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model the behavior of a system as it approaches a specific value, and it is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Are there any other types of limits besides the limit of a product cos?

Yes, there are several other types of limits, including the limit of a sum, difference, or quotient of two functions, the limit of a composite function, and the limit at infinity. Each type of limit has its own specific rules and properties, but they all involve the concept of a function approaching a specific value as its input variable gets closer and closer to a given value.