Limit of Multivariable Function at Origin

In summary: And you actually don't need to use two different theta values, just one. So you want to show that the limit as r goes to 0 of (r^2*sin^2(theta))/(r^2+2r^2*sin^2(theta)) goes to 0. You could use the squeeze theorem again. Try to find a function that is always between those two, and that goes to 0 as r goes to 0. In summary, the conversation is about a limit problem involving polar coordinates and how to approach it. The limit in question goes to 0 when approaching (0,0) with x=y and to 1 when approaching with y=0. This indicates that the limit does
icosane

Homework Statement

the limit as x,y go to 0,0 of (x^2*(sin(y))^2) / (x^2 + 2y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the limit goes to 0 when x=y, and when y=0 the limit goes to 1. Is this proof that the limit does not exist? I'm trying to work ahead and learn straight from the book and I'm having difficulty with these types of limits. Any hints on how to approach this type of problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
icosane said:

Homework Statement

the limit as x,y go to 0,0 of (x^2*(sin(y))^2) / (x^2 + 2y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the limit goes to 0 when x=y, and when y=0 the limit goes to 1. Is this proof that the limit does not exist? I'm trying to work ahead and learn straight from the book and I'm having difficulty with these types of limits. Any hints on how to approach this type of problem? Thanks.
What you are saying is that there are points (a, a) with a very close to 0 that give a value of the function very close to 0 and that there are points (a, 0) with a very close to 0 that give a value of the function very close to 1. If there were a limit all points close to (0,0) must give a value close to that limit. Clearly, that cannot happen here. Yes, the fact that approaching (0,0) in two different ways gives two different limits means that this limit does not exist.

If you have a problem in which the limit does exist, I recommend changing to polar coordinates. That way the "distance to (0,0)" depends only on r, not [itex]\theta[/itex]. If the limit does exist you will get that limit as r goes to 0, irrespective of the value of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Notice here you are saying you get one limit as r goes to 0 with [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] and another limit with [itex]\theta= 0[/itex].

But note that icosane was wrong about the limit along y=0. When y=0, then the expression is 0/x^2, which is 0 for all nonzero x, and hence its limit is 0 as x approaches 0.

As Halls suggested, use polar coords to help see what is happening.

Are polar coordinates necessary the text didn't do that for any examples. Only the squeeze theorem was used. If using polar coordinates is a more powerful way of solving this type of problem I would like to learn that, however. I've only ever been exposed to polar coordinates to change a point such as (1,-1) to polar coordinates. I've also seen a few pretty spiral type things like r = cos 4 theta. How do I go about changing a complex expression like above into polar coordinates? My only guess is to set x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, but how do I use 2 different theta values? And how is it that r is a variable all of a sudden? :blushing:

icosane said:
How do I go about changing a complex expression like above into polar coordinates? My only guess is to set x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, but how do I use 2 different theta values? And how is it that r is a variable all of a sudden?

Yes, set x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, but don't use different theta values. Now you have an expression in terms of r and theta instead of x and y. x^2+y^2=r^2 is sometimes helpful. You can use squeeze, and it helps that |sin theta|<= 1 and |cos theta|<= 1 always.

This particular problem is more confusing because there is a sin y already. In this problem, y is approaching 0, so a good "squeeze" to use first is |sin y|<= |y|, and then convert to polar coordinates.

Related to Limit of Multivariable Function at Origin

What is a multivariable limit problem?

A multivariable limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the limit of a function with multiple variables as the variables approach a specific point or value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you solve a multivariable limit problem?

To solve a multivariable limit problem, you typically use algebraic manipulation, substitution, and other techniques to simplify the function. Then, you evaluate the limit by plugging in the limiting values for each variable. If the resulting value is undefined or does not exist, the limit does not exist. Otherwise, the limit is the evaluated value.

What are the common challenges in solving multivariable limit problems?

One of the common challenges in solving multivariable limit problems is determining the appropriate approach to use. Depending on the complexity of the problem, different techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, trigonometric identities, and series expansion may be required. Another challenge is keeping track of the various variables and their limiting values, which can become quite complicated in higher-level problems.

How are multivariable limit problems used in real-world applications?

Multivariable limit problems are used in many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model the behavior of fluids in motion, to optimize the design of structures, and to analyze the production and cost functions in economics.

What are some resources for practicing multivariable limit problems?

There are many resources available for practicing multivariable limit problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Many universities also offer resources, such as workshops and tutoring services, for students who need additional help. Additionally, there are various math problem-solving apps and software programs that can provide practice problems and solutions.