Limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n->+infinity, very confusing

In summary, the limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n approaches infinity can be found by first simplifying to (1/n)/(1/n+1), which approaches 1 as n increases. This is allowed using L'Hopitals Rule, as long as the derivative and algebra are done correctly.
fiziksfun
Limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n-->+infinity, very confusing

can someone help me find the lim as n approaches infinity of

ln(n)/ln(n+1)

I used L'HOP so it became (1/n)/(1/n+1) -- as this approaches infinity, it's 0/0, and this confuses me. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

[itex]\frac{d}{dn} ln(n+1)=\frac{1}{n+1} \neq \frac{1}{n}+1[/itex]

Does that help ? ;0)

first, [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{1+n}}=\frac{1+n}{n}=1+\frac{1}{n}[/tex] which approaches to 1, as n approaches to infinity...
second, I'm assuming n stands for integers. And L'hospitals Rule is not allowed to apply to a sequence.

Last edited:

L'Hopitals Rule certainly is allowed to apply to a sequence! If f(x) has limit L as x goes to infinity then f(n) has limit L as n goes to infinity. This method is perfectly valid. Of course, you have to do the derivative and the algbra correctly!

yeah, I mean this exactly, but applying L'hospitals by brute force is not proper (derivative can be applyed to x but not to n).

Related to Limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n->+infinity, very confusing

1. What is the limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n approaches infinity?

The limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n approaches infinity is 1. This means that as n gets larger and larger, the value of ln(n)/ln(n+1) approaches 1.

2. Why is this limit confusing?

This limit can be confusing because it involves two logarithmic functions and infinity, which can be difficult concepts to grasp. Additionally, the function may seem to approach a different value as n gets larger, but in reality it approaches 1.

3. How do you solve this limit?

To solve this limit, you can use L'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation to rewrite the expression. Alternatively, you can use the property that ln(x) approaches infinity as x approaches infinity, and therefore ln(n)/ln(n+1) can be simplified to 1 as n approaches infinity.

4. What is the significance of this limit?

This limit is significant because it is a common example used in calculus and can help illustrate the concept of limits and how they behave as the input approaches infinity.

5. Can this limit be applied to other functions?

Yes, this limit can be applied to other functions with similar properties, such as ln(x+1)/ln(x+2) or ln(2x)/ln(2x+1). However, the result may be different depending on the specific function and its behavior as the input approaches infinity.