Limit of e^-7x cos x: Using Squeeze Theorem for Calculus Homework

• Thread starter Nidhogg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of e^-7x cos x as x approaches infinity can be found using the Squeeze Theorem. By showing that the product of e^-7x and cos x is bounded between -e^-7x and e^-7x, and using the fact that the limit of e^-7x is 0, we can conclude that the limit of e^-7x cos x is also 0. Therefore, the Squeeze Theorem allows us to find the limit of this function even though one of the individual limits does not exist.
Nidhogg
(sorry the thread title is wrong - can a mod please change it to "Limit of e^-7x cos x?")
1. Homework Statement

Find the following:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \cos x[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that [tex] [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) ] = [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) ] \cdot [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)] [/tex] so...

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equations...
[tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \sin x] = [(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x}) \cdot (\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \cos x)][/tex] But this limit DNE, since [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} cos x : DNE[/tex]

And yet, WebAssign tells me that DNE is wrong, and that I must use the Squeeze Theorem for this problem. Any help? My trig is a little rusty (last time I took it was 9 years ago), so any useful reminders on that front would be helpful as well. I'm taking Calc I.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nidhogg said:
(sorry the thread title is wrong - can a mod please change it to "Limit of e^-7x cos x?")
1. Homework Statement

Find the following:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \cos x[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that [tex] [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) ] = [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) ] \cdot [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)] [/tex] so...

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equations...
[tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \sin x] = [(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x}) \cdot (\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \cos x)][/tex] But this limit DNE, since [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} cos x : DNE[/tex]

And yet, WebAssign tells me that DNE is wrong, and that I must use the Squeeze Theorem for this problem. Any help? My trig is a little rusty (last time I took it was 9 years ago), so any useful reminders on that front would be helpful as well. I'm taking Calc I.

Just because one of the limits DNE doesn't mean that the product DNE. Could it be that one of your limits is 0? Use the squeeze theorem!

Dick said:
Just because one of the limits DNE doesn't mean that the product DNE. Could it be that one of your limits is 0? Use the squeeze theorem!

Okay, I can see that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} = 0[/tex] Which means that the limit as a whole should be 0, if it's not that case that the limit DNE. In that case, can I use the Squeeze Theorem like this?
[tex] [-1 \leq \cos x \leq 1] \Rightarrow [-e^{-7x} \leq e^{-7x} cos x \leq e^{-7x}][/tex] Meaning that [tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x}) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x})[/tex]

Which means that

[tex] 0 \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq 0 [/tex]

Which. by the Squeeze Theorem means that

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) = 0[/tex]
?

Nidhogg said:
Okay, I can see that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} = 0[/tex] Which means that the limit as a whole should be 0, if it's not that case that the limit DNE. In that case, can I use the Squeeze Theorem like this?
[tex] [-1 \leq \cos x \leq 1] \Rightarrow [-e^{-7x} \leq e^{-7x} cos x \leq e^{-7x}][/tex] Meaning that [tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x}) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x})[/tex]

Which means that

[tex] 0 \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq 0 [/tex]

Which. by the Squeeze Theorem means that

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) = 0[/tex]
?

Yes, you can. There's a typo or two in there, but that's ok. I know what you mean.

Related to Limit of e^-7x cos x: Using Squeeze Theorem for Calculus Homework

1. What is the limit of arctan(e^x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of arctan(e^x) as x approaches infinity is equal to pi/2. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of arctan(e^x) approaches pi/2 or 90 degrees.

2. How do you find the limit of arctan(e^x) as x approaches negative infinity?

As x approaches negative infinity, the limit of arctan(e^x) is equal to -pi/2. This is because as x gets more negative, the value of e^x approaches 0, and arctan(0) is equal to 0, making the overall limit equal to -pi/2.

3. What is the relationship between arctan(e^x) and the natural logarithm function?

The natural logarithm function, ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function, e^x. Similarly, the inverse of the tangent function, tan(x), is the arctangent function, arctan(x). Therefore, arctan(e^x) and ln(x) are related as inverse functions.

4. Is the limit of arctan(e^x) continuous at x=0?

Yes, the limit of arctan(e^x) is continuous at x=0. This means that the limit from the left side of 0 is equal to the limit from the right side of 0, which is equal to 0. This is because arctan(e^0) is equal to arctan(1) which is equal to pi/4.

5. Can the limit of arctan(e^x) be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to evaluate the limit of arctan(e^x) as x approaches infinity or negative infinity. This involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, which results in the limit becoming arctan(e^x)/e^x. This new limit can then be evaluated using substitution or other methods.