Limit of and Sin(9x)/x and 1/Cos(9x)

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as x goes to 0 of sin(7x)/[x+tan(9x)] can be solved by substituting sin(9x)/cos(9x) in for tan(9x) and dividing the top and bottom by x, resulting in an answer of 7/10. The limit of sin(9x)/x is 9 because the cosine function approaches 1 as x goes to 0, while the limit of 1/cos(9x) is 1 because the cosine function is not 0 at x=0. This can also be seen using L'Hôpital's rule or by looking at graphs. Another approach is to make the substitution u=k
Drakkith
Mentor
In a homework problem I had to find the limit as x goes to 0 of the function: sin(7x)/[x+tan(9x)]

Substituting sin(9x)/cos(9x) in for tan(9x) then dividing the top and bottom by x and finding the limit supposedly yields 7/1+(9)(1), giving an answer of 7/10.

What I don't get is why the limit as x goes to 0 of sin(9x)/x is 9, but the limit of 1/cos(9x) is 1 and not 1/9. Would it make a difference if it was x/cos(9x) instead?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
What I don't get is why the limit as x goes to 0 of sin(9x)/x is 9, but the limit of 1/cos(9x) is 1 and not 1/9. Would it make a difference if it was x/cos(9x) instead?

Because ##\cos(9x)## is not ##0## at ##x = 0##, you can simply plug in the value of ##0## to see that ##\lim_{x \to 0} 1/\cos(9x) = 1/1 = 1##. We can't do this for the ##\sin(9x)/x## because it is not defined for ##x = 0##.

Likewise, for ##\lim_{x \to 0} x/\cos(9x)##, we have ##\lim_{x \to 0} x/\cos(9x) = 0/1 = 0##

If you want an intuitive reason, it's because for ##x## close to ##0##, you may have learned that ##\sin(x) \approx x##. Then it makes sense that ##\lim_{x \to 0} \sin(9x)/x = 9##.

If you know L'Hôpital's rule, then this can also be seen, and there is also a geometric proof using the squeeze theorem to show the correct limit for your sine example, but honestly, the best thing to do is look at some graphs of the two.

Another intuitive approach: the cosine function is approaching ##1## as ##x \to 0##, so the ratio of ##\frac{k}{\cos(x)}## as ##x \to 0## will just be ##k## (there are no problems with dividing by zero.
Things become more tricky with the sine function, because it is approaching 0. If it were some constant k divided by the sine function, you can see that the limit would not exist, but because both the numerator and denominator are approaching 0, it's a bit more subtle than that, because it's possible for both of them to be approaching in such a way that they have a constant ratio for ##x## near ##0##.

If you have not covered L'Hôpital's rule yet, it will make more sense when you do.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
Okay, that makes much more sense.

axmls said:
If you have not covered L'Hôpital's rule yet, it will make more sense when you do.

Ah, I see it now. Thanks!

I was working a similar problem with someone today and I realized I forgot to point this out, if you haven't already done it this way.

Consider the following limit: $$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(k x)}{x}$$
Where ##k## is a nonzero constant. Then we can take advantage of the fact that we know $$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1$$
by making the substitution ##u = kx##, so that we get
$$\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{\sin(u)}{\frac{u}{k}}=\lim_{u \to 0} k \frac{\sin(u)}{u} = k \lim_{u \to 0} \frac{\sin(u)}{u} = k \cdot 1 = k$$
If you haven't seen it done that way, I feel like it makes it a bit more intuitive.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Limit of and Sin(9x)/x and 1/Cos(9x)

1. What is the limit of Sin(9x)/x as x approaches 0?

The limit of Sin(9x)/x as x approaches 0 is 9. This can be solved using the limit definition and trigonometric identities.

2. Can the limit of Sin(9x)/x be evaluated by direct substitution?

No, the limit of Sin(9x)/x cannot be evaluated by direct substitution as it would result in an indeterminate form of 0/0. Other methods, such as the Squeeze Theorem or L'Hopital's Rule, must be used to evaluate the limit.

3. How does the limit of Sin(9x)/x differ from the limit of 1/Cos(9x)?

The limit of Sin(9x)/x approaches 9 as x approaches 0, while the limit of 1/Cos(9x) approaches 1 as x approaches 0. This is due to the difference in the behavior of the sine and cosine functions as x approaches 0.

4. What is the significance of the limit of Sin(9x)/x and 1/Cos(9x) in calculus?

The limit of Sin(9x)/x and 1/Cos(9x) is commonly used in the evaluation of derivatives and integrals involving trigonometric functions. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in the analysis of oscillatory motion and electromagnetic waves.

5. Can the limit of Sin(9x)/x and 1/Cos(9x) be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the concept of limits can be extended to other trigonometric functions such as Tan(9x)/x and Csc(9x)/x. The methods for evaluating these limits may differ but the concept remains the same.