Limit of a complex exponential

Does that make sense?In summary, the limit of e^{i k x} as x approaches infinity is undefined, but it stays bounded within 0 and 1. This means that when multiplied with a function that approaches 0 at infinity, the product will also approach 0, despite the first term being undefined at infinity. This is due to the product of a finite number and 0 always being 0.
Waxterzz
Hi,

BhEN5Ms.jpg

The two terms should vanish at infinity according to the Quantum textbook of Griffiths, but I don't see how?

I mean a complex exponential is a periodic function so how can it vanish at infinity?

If you split up the first term

exp(ikx) * exp(-ax)

Take the limit of infinity of this expression

lim exp(ikx) is not defined
limit exp(-ax) turns zero

But 0 * an undefined limit is still undefined, right?

So help me out, please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Waxterzz said:
Wrong :-p. ##0 \times \infty## is undefined, but ##0 \times a## where ##|a| < \infty## is always 0.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
Wrong :-p. ##0 \times \infty## is undefined, but ##0 \times a## where ##|a| < \infty## is always 0.

but

lim (exp(ik-a)*x) to infinity equals lim exp (ikx) times lim exp(-ax) so it is ∞ * 0 ?

Waxterzz said:
Hi,

BhEN5Ms.jpg

The two terms should vanish at infinity according to the Quantum textbook of Griffiths, but I don't see how?

I mean a complex exponential is a periodic function so how can it vanish at infinity?

If you split up the first term

exp(ikx) * exp(-ax)

Take the limit of infinity of this expression

lim exp(ikx) is not defined
limit exp(-ax) turns zero

So help me out, please.

How do you think [itex]e^{-ax} \cos(kx)[/itex] behaves as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex]?

If [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} g(x)[/itex] exist, then it follows that [tex]
\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)g(x) = \left(\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) \right)\left(\lim_{x \to \infty} g(x) \right).[/tex] However, even if one or both of [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} g(x)[/itex] do not exist, it might still be the case that [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)g(x)[/itex] exists.

Likes 1 person
Waxterzz said:
lim (exp(ik-a)*x) to infinity equals lim exp (ikx) times lim exp(-ax) so it is ∞ * 0 ?

$$
0 \leq \left| e^{i k x} \right| \leq 1
$$

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
$$
$$

So lim exp (ikx) does not exist , but lim exp( |ikx|) does?

But how make it work in lim (exp(ik-a)x)

Do you know where this rule can be found or what this rule can be called?

DrClaude said:
But then you've already calcultated lim exp (-ax) that turns zero and lim exp (ikx) does not become a number?

I really don't get it.

If you calculate the limit as a whole (lim exp(ik-a)), you don't get a * 0 or you do?

DrClaude said:
$$
$$

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_convergence

So because of that absolute value (the norm?) that is always 1 it converges? I think I got it.

e^ikx converges? |e^ikx| = 1 right ? e^ikx * e^-ikx = e ^ (ikx-ikx) = e^0 = 1 right

but why is the limit not defined?

Wait, because it's periodic. Limit is not defined, but the max and min stays fixed. And that's why when you multiply with a function that goes to zero at infinity the product of the two functions also does?

God, I was too tired to make sense out of anything I think.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. Indeed
$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{i k x} = \textrm{undefined}
$$
but ##0 \leq \left| e^{i k x} \right| \leq 1##, which means it is finite. I use the absolute value since the result is complex, but the important thing is that ##e^{i k x}## stays bounded even as ##x \rightarrow \infty##.

Therefore, since
$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-a x} = 0
$$
you have
$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{i k x} e^{-a x} = 0
$$
The fact that the limit of the first term is undefined doesn't affect the fact that the product of something finite with zero will always be zero.

Likes shinobi20

Related to Limit of a complex exponential

What is the limit of a complex exponential?

The limit of a complex exponential is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a complex exponential function as the input approaches a specific value or goes to infinity.

How is the limit of a complex exponential calculated?

The limit of a complex exponential is calculated using the same principles as the limit of a real exponential function. It involves evaluating the function at values approaching the desired input and observing the behavior of the output.

What is the significance of the limit of a complex exponential?

The limit of a complex exponential is important in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, complex analysis, and differential equations. It helps to understand the behavior of complex functions and can be used to solve problems in these areas.

Can the limit of a complex exponential be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a complex exponential can be infinite. This can occur when the input approaches a certain value or goes to infinity and the output also approaches infinity.

Are there any special cases in the limit of a complex exponential?

Yes, there are special cases in the limit of a complex exponential. For example, when the input approaches zero, the limit of a complex exponential may be different depending on the direction of approach.