Limit is 0/0??: Exploring the Mystery of x=-2

In summary, the limit as x approaches -2 of (x+2)/(x^3+8) is equal to 1/12. This can be found by factoring the denominator into (x + 2)(x^2 - 2x + 4) and using the fact that the sum or difference of two cubes can be factored as (a + b)(a^2 - ab + b^2). While L'Hopital's Rule is a more general approach, it is not necessary for this particular problem.
Jules18
Limit is 0/0 ??

Homework Statement

limit as x approaches -2 of:

(x+2)/(x3+8)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged -2 into the eq'n and I got 0 for both the numerator and denomenator, so I thought the answer would be 1.

Apparently it's supposed to be 1/12 ...
is the text wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to factor (x^3 - 8).

I remember my PreCalc teacher telling me that if I get 0/0, I can always factor something out.

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)}{ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)}[/tex]

holds only if [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)[/itex] is not equal to zero. So you can't just split the limit up and get 0/0 (which isn't defined to be 1 anyway).

If x3+8 is equal to 0 at x=-2, it means you can factor an (x-(-2)) = x+2 from it (basic fact about polynomials)

did you learn l'hopitals rule?
if you get 0/0 or infinty or undefined, can't you just get the derivative of the top and bottom
so you got 0/0
then f(x)/g(x)
find f'(x)/ g'(x) and keep getting the derivative of top and bottom until you get an actual value when you plug in a, or in this case, -2
am i wrong or...what?

L'hopital rule is fine of course.. you different top/bottom separately and get 1/3x^2, which is 1/12 if you plug in -2.

if you get "0/0" - you should always use L'Hopital Rule.
Note that "0/1" or "1/0" results you shouldn't use... :)

Jules18 said:

Homework Statement

limit as x approaches -2 of:

(x+2)/(x3+8)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged -2 into the eq'n and I got 0 for both the numerator and denomenator, so I thought the answer would be 1.

Apparently it's supposed to be 1/12 ...
is the text wrong?

L'Hopital's Rule is overkill for this problem, and is therefore not needed. The denominator can be factored into (x + 2) times a quadratic. The sum or difference of two cubes can be factored as follows:

a3 + b3 = (a + b)(a2 - ab + b2)
a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2)

^
Agreed.

In fact, any time a polynomial, P(x), say, equals 0 for x= a, it must have x- a as a factor. You can use "long division" or "synthetic division" to determine the other factor.

Mark44 said:
L'Hopital's Rule is overkill for this problem, and is therefore not needed.
I don't know about that. L'Hopital's rule is more general (applies to non-polynomials) and differentiation is easier than factoring. Given the choice between an easy general solution and a difficult specialized solution I will pick the easy general approach every time.

Last edited:

DaleSpam said:
I don't know about that. L'Hopital's rule is more general (applies to non-polynomials) and differentiation is easier than factoring. Given the choice between an easy general solution and a difficult specialized solution I will pick the easy general approach every time.
Notice that I said "for this problem." Also, factoring is almost always taught before differentiation, so if the OP hasn't been exposed to differentiation yet, then L'Hopital's Rule would be out of the question, regardless of its generality.

Related to Limit is 0/0??: Exploring the Mystery of x=-2

1. What does "Limit is 0/0" mean in mathematics?

In mathematics, the phrase "Limit is 0/0" refers to a mathematical limit of a function where both the numerator and denominator approach zero as the independent variable approaches a specific value. This type of limit is known as an indeterminate form and requires further analysis to determine its value.

2. What does "x=-2" represent in the context of this limit?

In this context, "x=-2" represents the specific value that the independent variable is approaching as the limit is evaluated. The value of x=-2 is known as the limit point or limit of the function.

3. How is the limit of a function at x=-2 calculated?

The limit of a function at x=-2 can be calculated using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing. These methods involve evaluating the function at values closer and closer to x=-2 to determine the behavior of the function and its limit at that point.

4. Why is the limit of a function at x=-2 important?

The limit of a function at x=-2 is an important concept in mathematics as it helps to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point. It also allows for the evaluation of functions that would otherwise be undefined at that point, such as in the case of "Limit is 0/0."

5. What are some real-life applications of "Limit is 0/0" and x=-2?

"Limit is 0/0" and x=-2 have various real-life applications, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. These concepts can help predict the behavior of physical systems, design structures and machines, and analyze economic models. For example, in physics, the limit of a function at x=-2 can be used to determine the velocity of an object at a specific point in time.