Limit definition to compute some complex value function

In summary, we proved that for given E > 0 there is a positive number x such that|z^2 - (-1)| < E whenever 0 < |z - i|: For z in the range -1,1
Genericcoder
So there is something I don't understand in the definition of limit that is applied to some problem
I have some intuition for like the rigorous limit definition but I don't have full understanding when applied to some problems.

Use definition 2 to prove lim as z → i of z^2 = -1

The book answer:
We must show that for given E > 0 there is a positive number x such that

|z^2 - (-1)| < E whenever 0 < |z - i| :

so we express |z^2 - (-1) | in terms of |z - i|:

z^2 - (-1) = z^2 + 1 = (z - i)(z + i) = (z - i)(z - i + 2i)

It follows from the properties of absolute value defived in Sec 1.3
that

|z^2 - (-1)| = |z - i||z - i + 2i| <= |z - i| (|z - i| + 2)

Now if |z - i| < x the right hand is less than x(x + 2) so to ensure that it is less than E, we can choose x to be smaller than either of the number E/3 and 1:

|z - i||(|z - i| + 2) < E/3(1 + 2) = 2

So Here there is a lot of stuff that I don't understand like why did we need to express one value in terms of the other ? I still don't know follow what's going on here if someone could explain please because I want full understanding of these stuff. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Genericcoder said:
So there is something I don't understand in the definition of limit that is applied to some problem
I have some intuition for like the rigorous limit definition but I don't have full understanding when applied to some problems.

Use definition 2 to prove lim as z → i of z^2 = -1

The book answer:
We must show that for given E > 0 there is a positive number x such that

|z^2 - (-1)| < E whenever 0 < |z - i| :

so we express |z^2 - (-1) | in terms of |z - i|:

z^2 - (-1) = z^2 + 1 = (z - i)(z + i) = (z - i)(z - i + 2i)

I'm guessing you are OK to here, right? You are trying to make ##z^2-(-1)## small by getting ##z## near ##i##. Now, on the right side you have ##z-i## which you can make small. That will make the right side small if the rest of it ##|z-i+2i|## isn't too big. Well, how big can it be? ##|z+i|\le |z|+|i| = |z|+1##. That could presumably be very large, except for the fact we are making ##z## close to ##i##. Let's say we keep ##z## within ##1## unit of ##i## so ##|z-i|<1##. How big could ##z## be then? Well, ##|z|-|i|\le |z-i|<1## so ##|z|<1+|i|=2##. Putting this together gives ##|z+i|\le 3## so ##|z^2-(-1)|\le|z-i|\cdot 3##. That's where the overestimate of ##3## comes from. Now pick ##\delta=\min\{\epsilon/3,1\}##.

Last edited:
Oke good I understand it now thank you it makes perfect sense.

Related to Limit definition to compute some complex value function

1. What is a limit definition in mathematics?

A limit definition in mathematics is a formal way of defining the value of a function at a specific point. It involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a given value.

2. What is a complex value function?

A complex value function is a mathematical function that maps a complex number (a number with both a real and imaginary component) to another complex number. It can be written in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u and v are real-valued functions of two variables (x and y).

3. Why is the limit definition used to compute complex value functions?

The limit definition is used to compute complex value functions because it provides a rigorous and accurate way of determining the value of a function at a specific point. Complex value functions can be difficult to evaluate using traditional methods, but the limit definition allows for a precise calculation of the value at a given point.

4. What are the steps involved in using the limit definition to compute a complex value function?

There are three main steps involved in using the limit definition to compute a complex value function. First, the function is rewritten in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y). Then, the limit definition is applied to each of the real-valued functions u and v separately. Finally, the limit is evaluated and the complex number is formed by combining the results for u and v.

5. Are there any limitations to using the limit definition to compute complex value functions?

The limit definition can be a time-consuming process and may not be practical for more complex functions. Additionally, the limit definition may not always yield a finite value for certain functions, making it difficult to compute the value at a specific point. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used.