Limit Definition of Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit definition of a derivative and solving for the value of g'(x) using this definition. The question and given limit are confirmed to be correct, resulting in a value of 1 for g'(x).
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbicgHafqNzcvn.png

Homework Equations

The limit definition of a derivative:

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h as h approaches zero is f'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not understanding the wording of the question. The limit given in the question is indeed equal to g'(x) since it's set up properly and indeed sec(pi) is -1 and subtracting -1 makes it a positive 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbicgHafqNzcvn.png

Homework Equations

The limit definition of a derivative:

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h as h approaches zero is f'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not understanding the wording of the question. The limit given in the question is indeed equal to g'(x)

You mean ##g'(\pi)##

since it's set up properly and indeed sec(pi) is -1 and subtracting -1 makes it a positive 1.

So I guess you would mark it True.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Limit Definition of Derivative

What is the limit definition of derivative?

The limit definition of derivative is the mathematical formula used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change or slope of a curve at a specific point. It is represented by the following equation:
f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h

Why is the limit definition of derivative important?

The limit definition of derivative is important because it is the basis for understanding and applying the concept of derivatives in calculus. It allows us to find the rate of change at any point on a curve, which is crucial in many scientific and mathematical applications.

How do you use the limit definition of derivative to find the slope of a curve?

To find the slope of a curve using the limit definition of derivative, you first need to plug in the x-value of the point you want to find the slope at into the equation. Then, you take the limit of the equation as h approaches 0. This will give you the slope or rate of change at that specific point.

What does the h in the limit definition of derivative represent?

The h in the limit definition of derivative represents the change in the x-values. It is the distance between the point you want to find the slope at and a nearby point. As this value approaches 0, the slope becomes more accurate and approaches the instantaneous rate of change.

Can the limit definition of derivative be used for any type of function?

Yes, the limit definition of derivative can be used for any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. It is a general formula that can be applied to any function to find its derivative at a specific point.