Limit Calculation for Block Sliding on Lubricated Surface with Quadratic Drag

In summary, the homework statement states that if the initial speed of the block is Vo at x=o, then the block cannot travel further than 2m(Vo^(1/2))/c. However, when I tried to solve for x as t went to infinity, I got a value of -1/u. I think I may have made a mistake with my integration calculations.
Jukai

Homework Statement

A block of mass m slides on a horizontal surface that's been lubricated with a heavy oil so that the block suffers a viscous resistance that varies as the 3/2 power of the speed.

If the initial speed of the block is Vo at x=o, show that the block cannot travel further than 2m(Vo^(1/2))/c

c is the drag constant.

Homework Equations

The viscous resistance is defined as F(v)=-cv^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I defined my axis so that F = ma = -F(v) = cv^(3/2)

It's obvious that I need to calculate the limit of t when t goes to infinity from the position equation. So I integrate my F=ma equation twice and I don't get the answer.

For my first integration, I have dv/(v^(3/2)) = (cm)dt which gets me 1/(V^(1/2)) - 1/(Vo^(1/2)) = cmt

Now I isolate V=dx/dt in order to integrate a second time. I find that V=1/((Vo^(1/2)) + (ct/2m))^2

Let u = the denominator, du = cdt/2m --> dt = 2mdu/c. The integral becomes dx=1/(u)^2du
and I get x = -1/u. After I replace u for it's value, my limit when t-->infinity isn't what the question demands.

Could someone tell me where I might have made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jukai said:

Homework Equations

The viscous resistance is defined as F(v)=-cv^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I defined my axis so that F = ma = -F(v) = cv^(3/2)

It's obvious that I need to calculate the limit of t when t goes to infinity from the position equation. So I integrate my F=ma equation twice and I don't get the answer.

For my first integration, I have dv/(v^(3/2)) = (cm)dt which gets me 1/(V^(1/2)) - 1/(Vo^(1/2)) = cmt

The viscous force acts opposite to the direction of motion. It was already defined with the correct sign, but you negated it. If you take your solution and replace c -> -c you might get the correct result.

fzero said:
The viscous force acts opposite to the direction of motion. It was already defined with the correct sign, but you negated it. If you take your solution and replace c -> -c you might get the correct result.

I just tried it, and my limit is still wrong. My second integral is now x = m/c((1/Vo^(1/2)) - (ct/m))

You're missing some minus signs and factors of 2. You're also missing the t=0 term in the integration of the velocity. For the first integration I find

[tex]-\frac{2}{\sqrt{v}} + \frac{2}{\sqrt{v_0}} = - \frac{ct}{m}[/tex]

The 2nd integration gives

[tex] x = \frac{2m v_0 }{c\sqrt{v_0}} \left( - \frac{1}{1+\frac{c\sqrt{v_0}}{2m}t} + 1\right).[/tex]

After simplifying, you get something that yields

[tex]x(t\rightarrow\infty) \rightarrow \frac{2m\sqrt{v_0}}{c}.[/tex]

thank you very much, I understand now

Related to Limit Calculation for Block Sliding on Lubricated Surface with Quadratic Drag

1. What is quadratic drag?

Quadratic drag is a type of air resistance that occurs when an object moves through a fluid such as air or water. It is caused by the fluid pushing against the object, resulting in a force that opposes the object's motion.

2. What is the formula for quadratic drag?

The formula for quadratic drag is Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the object's velocity, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the object's cross-sectional area.

3. How does quadratic drag affect an object's motion?

As an object's velocity increases, the drag force also increases. This results in a decrease in the object's acceleration, eventually reaching a point where the drag force is equal to the object's weight, causing it to reach a terminal velocity where its acceleration becomes zero.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and quadratic drag?

The relationship between velocity and quadratic drag is non-linear. As the velocity increases, the drag force increases exponentially, resulting in a faster decrease in acceleration.

5. How is quadratic drag different from linear drag?

Linear drag, also known as viscous drag, is another type of air resistance that is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the drag force also increases at a constant rate. In contrast, quadratic drag increases at a faster rate as the velocity increases, resulting in a more significant effect on an object's motion.