Limit at infinity, no vert asymptote, why?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vertical asymptote and evaluating the limit of the function. The participant mentions understanding the horizontal asymptote and finishing the problem with the correct answer of DNE. They also mention their approach to finding the vertical asymptote and eventually realizing that the limit of the function as x->1 is not infinity, therefore there is no vertical asymptote. They are reminded of the conjugate method to solve this type of problem.
jrjack

Homework Statement

Find the vertical asymptote(n) and evaluate the limit as [itex]x \rightarrow n^-, x\rightarrow n^+[/itex], or state Does Not Exist.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{4x^2+2x+10}-4}{x-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken the limits at [itex]\pm\infty=2,-2[/itex] and understand those are my horizontal asymptotes.

I have also finished the problem and got the correct answer (DNE), but I cannot mathematically understand why it does not have a vertical asymptote, I figured this out by graphing.

Based on similar problems, I (wrongly) assumed setting the denominator equal to 0 gives the Vert Asymptote. This was the case in the 3 problems before this one, but that was after factoring and reducing the equations. After trying to find the limit of this equation as [itex]x\rightarrow1[/itex]...I gave up, and graphed it.

I don't feel this is the correct approach. What is a better approach? Can I find that this problem has no vertical asymptote without graphing?

...After typing this I think my answer lies in the definition of a vertical asymptote, and since the limit of f(x) as x->1 was not [itex]\pm\infty[/itex], then there is no vert. asymptote.

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it's not a vertical asymptote because the limit as x->1 is not infinity. To work this out algebraically multiply the numerator and denominator by sqrt(4x^2+2x+10)+4 and factor. It's the usual 'conjugate' thing you should think about when you see a square root.

Thanks, I always seem to forget the simple things.

Related to Limit at infinity, no vert asymptote, why?

1. What is a limit at infinity?

A limit at infinity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity. It is used to determine the overall trend or end behavior of a function.

2. How is a limit at infinity different from a regular limit?

A regular limit is evaluated at a specific input value, whereas a limit at infinity is evaluated as the input values approach infinity. This means that the limit at infinity takes into account the overall behavior of the function, rather than just a single point.

3. What does it mean when a function has no vertical asymptote at infinity?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line that a function approaches but never touches. When a function has no vertical asymptote at infinity, it means that the function approaches a finite value as the input values approach infinity, rather than approaching a vertical line.

4. Why is it important to know if a function has a limit at infinity?

Knowing if a function has a limit at infinity is important because it provides insight into the overall behavior of the function. It can help determine if the function is increasing or decreasing without bound, or if it approaches a finite value as the input values increase or decrease.

5. Can a function have a limit at infinity and a vertical asymptote at the same time?

No, a function cannot have a limit at infinity and a vertical asymptote at the same time. This is because a vertical asymptote indicates that the function approaches a vertical line, while a limit at infinity means that the function approaches a finite value. These two concepts are contradictory and cannot occur simultaneously.