Limit as x -> 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x

• Thread starter Jeann25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, The conversation is about finding the limit as x->0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x and the difficulties in getting rid of the x in the denominator. Jeann25 suggests using l'Hopital's rule, but Tide believes it is not necessary and suggests rationalizing the numerator instead. Eventually, it is revealed that the assignment may be related to a lesson on l'Hopital's rule.
Jeann25
I need to find the limit as x-> 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x
but I can't figure out how to get rid of x in the denominator or atleast make the limit not equal to 0 in the denominator. I know this is probably going back some, but it's been a little while since I've done this. I've tried about every trick I can think of, but I can't seem to figure it out, but my book seems to think there's an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with l'Hopital's rule?

Tide, L'Hopital's rule is "overkill"!

Jeann25, multiply both numerator and denominator by sqrt(1+x)+ 1 to rationalize the numerator.

Thank you for the help!

HallsofIvy said:
Tide, L'Hopital's rule is "overkill"!
Jeann25, multiply both numerator and denominator by sqrt(1+x)+ 1 to rationalize the numerator.

Halls,

Of course! But I was trying to ascertain whether the assignment related to a lesson on l'Hospital. :)

Related to Limit as x -> 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x

1. What is the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x?

The limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x is equal to 1/2. This can be found by using the limit definition of a derivative and taking the derivative of √x at x=1.

2. How can I find the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x?

To find the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x, you can use a variety of techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule, substitution, or algebraic manipulation. In this specific case, using the limit definition of a derivative is the most straightforward method.

3. Why is the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x equal to 1/2?

The limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x is equal to 1/2 because the derivative of √x at x=1 is equal to 1/2. This can be seen by using the power rule for derivatives and plugging in x=1.

4. Can I use the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x to prove other limits?

Yes, you can use the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x to prove other limits. This is because it is a fundamental limit that can be used to find the derivatives of other functions.

5. How does the value of the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x affect the graph of √x?

The value of the limit as x approaches 0 for ((√1+x)-1)/x, which is 1/2, does not affect the graph of √x. However, it does determine the slope of the tangent line to the graph of √x at x=1, which can be seen by using the limit definition of a derivative.