Like Button Changes: Is it New?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, some posts that have been liked or removed have a confirmation popup that was not present before. This confirmation pop up is new.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
When you click to like a post, a confirmation request pops up. Is this new?

• Skeptical
Likes Algr, PeroK and DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
No pop-ups for me.

Likes Algr and Wrichik Basu
Nor me.

No confirmation, but I do get a popup letting me choose what reaction I attach to the post

• Skeptical
Likes Algr, berkeman and DrClaude
Did you disable javascript?

I don't have a popup either, but getting new pages/windows instead of the direct functionality is a typical sign of disabled JS.

This confirmation pop up @PeroK @DrClaude :
I should have attached this earlier

Screenshot_2020-08-30 Confirm action.png

jim mcnamara said:
This confirmation pop up:
View attachment 268607

I don't get that upon either liking or removing my like from a post. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere that you have turned on/off?

@Greg Bernhardt - this happened on a post I wanted to "like" by @harborsparrow

MAybe there are some options local to the person getting the like. AFAIK I have changed nothing. ...right...o0)

Just tried it on the above post. Awarding a Haha changes the Like button to Haha. Clicking it again removes the awarded Haha, equivalent activity awarding a Like.

There used to be a button called Remove Like, or something similiar.

Curiouser nad curiouser!

Likes jim mcnamara
I just got a "normal" response from a like to @Tom.G 's post above
@harborsparrow has been around a long time, it is possible that this was a feature in a previous version of VBforums, which is now our Xenforo.

@Greg Bernhardt - this means the response is local to a user. Somehow.

• Wow
Likes etotheipi
jim mcnamara said:
I just got a "normal" response from a like to @Tom.G 's post above
Does it still happen elsewhere now?
A difference by user would be really odd. In particular, I can like a post by harborsparrow without needing confirmation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
huh I'm stumped on this one!
Greg Bernhardt said:
I get it too, must be a super rare bug.
Since it's so rare, we will forget about it. Please let us know when that 'stump' changes to 'stomp'. :oldbiggrin:

Likes BillTre
Post 3 to 5 all have that problem. Something starts the problem in post 3.
Post 3 has some java code that *should* not influence anything... but maybe something goes wrong there?

Let's test it here. I need someone else to test it or reply to it however, as I can't "like" my own posts.

Edit: Here is the code that breaks things, probably because of ill-formed quotation marks:
[CODE lang="java" highlight=""15-17,25,""]public[/CODE]

If I include this then saving an edit doesn't work properly and replying to the thread is difficult as well (see the following post). If I don't include it everything is fine.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and Tom.G
Clicking on Like, I got the 'Confirm' popup. Then when it came back to the thread the Reply window (box) was missing. I clicked on 'Post reply' btn., got the usual Empty error msg., dismissed it, which brought the Reply window back.

Thanks. I found the bad code using your post as additional test case, see my edit above.
Edit: Here is the code that breaks things, probably because of ill-formed quotation marks:
[CODE lang="java" highlight=""15-17,25,""]public[/CODE]

If I include this then saving an edit doesn't work properly and replying to the thread is difficult as well (see the following post). If I don't include it everything is fine.

Likes jim mcnamara and Greg Bernhardt

Related to Like Button Changes: Is it New?

1. What are the changes made to the Like button?

The changes made to the Like button include a new design, new reactions (such as Love, Haha, Wow, Sad, and Angry), and the ability to hover over the Like button to select a specific reaction.

2. Is the Like button completely new or just updated?

The Like button is not completely new, but it has been updated with new features and a new design. The basic function of liking a post or page remains the same.

3. Can I still see who has liked my post?

Yes, you can still see who has liked your post. However, with the new reactions, you will also be able to see which specific reaction each person has chosen.

4. Will my previous likes be affected by the changes?

No, your previous likes will not be affected by the changes. They will still be visible and counted as a like on the post or page.

5. Are the Like button changes available on all platforms?

Yes, the Like button changes are available on all platforms, including desktop, mobile, and the Facebook app.