Lighting Requirements, Industrial/Commercial.

• Thread starter Starwatcher16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lighting
In summary: Okay, so it means that the Candella rating is relative to the size of the reflector, not the size of the light itself.
Starwatcher16
Are the lighting requirements stated in lux? Also, where would I go to find out the requirements for various settings? I looked around in the NEC book but didn't really find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Starwatcher16 said:
Are the lighting requirements stated in lux? Also, where would I go to find out the requirements for various settings? I looked around in the NEC book but didn't really find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Local building codes should tell you what type of lighting is required for various buildings as well as CFR and OSHA.

The requirements are typically given in foot-candles.

Here is a link from OSHA which should point you in the right direction:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10630

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
For most fixtures, there is some type of polished thin white metal above the lamp used as a reflector. About what would it's hemispherical spectral reflectivity be?

It is more or less a speculur reflector right?

Assuming the reflectivity is high, and the upper hemisphere is blocked by this metal, can I double the lumens being emitted in the lower hemisphere, getting Candella*4pi=x Lumens ?

For a lamp that is stated to have x lumens, is that x lumens total, or x lumens per steradian?

While we are at it, could someone explain to me what a Candella is? I am not really getting it.

Okay, so it is a Watt/Steradian. Okay.

Lets say that when we get a flux of 100 photons passing through a surface per second, that that is equal to one watt.

So if we have, let's say 50 Candella, we have a flux of 5000 photons passing through a surface whose area equals r^2 per second.

What I do not get, is, if the Candella is defined this way, then doesn't that mean that the candella is dependent on r? If I were to double r, then i am quadrupling the surface area, and therefore my Candella will go down to a quarter its previous value.

So what does it mean, when you say a lamp has a candella rating of X, without giving the r that was used to determine that?

I mean, if I choose a big enough R, I could get the sun to have a candella of 1E-1000

Related to Lighting Requirements, Industrial/Commercial.

What are the recommended lighting levels for industrial/commercial spaces?

The recommended lighting levels for industrial/commercial spaces vary depending on the specific tasks being performed. Generally, a minimum of 30 foot-candles (fc) is recommended for general lighting, 50 fc for detailed work, and 100 fc for precision work. However, these levels may need to be adjusted based on the nature of the work and the environment.

What types of lighting fixtures are suitable for industrial/commercial spaces?

There are several types of lighting fixtures that are suitable for industrial/commercial spaces, including fluorescent lights, LED lights, high-intensity discharge (HID) lights, and incandescent lights. The specific type of fixture chosen will depend on factors such as energy efficiency, color temperature, and maintenance requirements.

How do lighting requirements differ between industrial and commercial spaces?

The lighting requirements for industrial and commercial spaces may differ in terms of lighting levels, lighting type, and lighting placement. Industrial spaces may require higher lighting levels due to the nature of the work being performed, while commercial spaces may prioritize energy efficiency and aesthetic appeal.

What are the benefits of using energy-efficient lighting in industrial/commercial spaces?

Energy-efficient lighting, such as LED lights, can provide significant cost savings for industrial and commercial spaces. They have a longer lifespan, require less maintenance, and use less energy compared to traditional lighting options. Additionally, energy-efficient lighting can contribute to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly workspace.

Are there any safety considerations when it comes to lighting requirements for industrial/commercial spaces?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when determining lighting requirements for industrial/commercial spaces. Lighting should be designed to minimize glare, shadows, and flickering, which can cause eye strain and potentially lead to accidents. It is also important to follow safety regulations and ensure proper installation and maintenance of lighting fixtures.