Lightbulbs and power/resistance

• Thread starter annie122
  • Start date
In summary: However, this is assuming the same design voltage. In most cases, higher power output devices will have less resistance due to the fact that they are designed to handle more power and thus have a larger capacity for current flow. This means they can have a lower resistance and still handle the higher power output without overheating. So in summary, when comparing light bulbs with different power output, the one with higher power output will generally have less resistance and draw more current.
annie122
To increase the brightness of a desk lamp a student replaces a 50 W light bulb with a 100 W light bulb. Compared to the 60 W light bulb the 100 W light bulb has?

A. Less resistance and draws more current
B. Less resistance and draws less current
C. More resistance and draws more current
D. More resistance and draws less current

Answer:A

My questions are:
1. are we assuming constant voltage?
(And I'm going to ask a really basic one: are we supplied constant voltage at our homes?)

2. brightness = k*(power)?

3. is it just a fact that higher power output devices have less resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
wall power (well, I actually should say voltage) is constant. As for your other questions, what do you think?

annie122 said:
My questions are:
(And I'm going to ask a really basic one: are we supplied constant voltage at our homes?)
As a general rule, yes.
I had to look this up. I didn't trust the wiki answer, as it didn't quite look right.

wiki said:
For a supply voltage V near the rated voltage of the lamp:
Light output is approximately proportional to V3.4

But they referenced the source, and I found the answer:

Vd = Design Voltage
Va = Applied Voltage

Rerated Candlepower = [Va / Vd ]3.5 x Candlepower at Design Voltage
http://www.welchallyn.com/documents/Lighting/OEM_Halogen_Lighting/MC3544HPX_Catalog_2_11_09.pdf

I plugged in 125v & 120v and came up with 115%.
125/120 = 1.04
So a 4% increase in voltage increased luminosity by 15%

Thank you for asking this question. I didn't know that.

You can plug numbers into the following equations and find out.

P = I*E = I2*R = E2/R
P = Watts
I = Amps
E = Volts
R = Ohms

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
I had to look this up. I didn't trust the wiki answer, as it didn't quite look right.

But they referenced the source, and I found the answer:

http://www.welchallyn.com/documents/Lighting/OEM_Halogen_Lighting/MC3544HPX_Catalog_2_11_09.pdf

I plugged in 125v & 120v and came up with 115%.
125/120 = 1.04
So a 4% increase in voltage increased luminosity by 15%

Thank you for asking this question. I didn't know that.

Wiki is not wrong. It says the same thing.

Anyway, this formula applies only for a voltage outside of the design specification, which is not something you would normally want to do. (The lamp will break.)

The wiki article also contains a table, specifying how the perceived brightness (in Lumen) varies with varying types of incandescent light bulbs when used at their design specification.
The relation in that table is:
##\qquad Brightness = k \times Power^{1.2} \quad## up to ##\quad k \times Power^{1.4}##.
depending on the type of lamp.

The amount of radiated power is always exactly the power you put into the lamp.
It's just that by far most of it is in the infrared spectrum, that is, radiated as heat.
The efficiency of a lamp is the ratio between amount of visible light (in Lumen) and the radiated power (in Watt).

The reason that you get better efficiency from a lamp with higher power specification is because the filaments burn hotter, meaning a larger percentage of power is radiated in the visible spectrum. But burning hotter also means quicker degradation.

More or less constant.

Apply conservation of energy. Where does the incoming power go?

If you are talking about devices with the same design voltage then in general yes.

If the design voltage is different then it's not allways true.

You can design a light bulb to suit a car (12V) or mains (110V).

V = IR
P= IV
so
P=V^2/R

Some combinations and the resulting resistance...

12V, 50W... R = 12^2/50 = 2.88 Ohms
110V, 50W ... R = 110^2/50 = 200 ohms

12V, 100W... R = 12^2/100 = 1.44 Ohms
110V, 100W ...R = 100^2/100 = 100 Ohms

So in this case a 12V, 50W bulb has a lower resistance (2.88Ohms) that a 110V, 100W bulb (100 Ohms).

Related to Lightbulbs and power/resistance

1. What is the difference between watts and lumens in relation to lightbulbs?

Watts measure the amount of power consumed by a lightbulb, while lumens measure the amount of light produced. In other words, watts measure energy usage, while lumens measure brightness.

2. How does the voltage affect the power and resistance of a lightbulb?

The power of a lightbulb is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, meaning that as the voltage increases, so does the power and brightness of the lightbulb. The resistance, on the other hand, is inversely proportional to the voltage. As the voltage increases, the resistance decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can I use a lightbulb with a higher wattage than recommended?

No, it is not recommended to use a lightbulb with a higher wattage than recommended by the manufacturer. Doing so can cause the bulb to overheat and potentially lead to a fire hazard. It is important to always use the recommended wattage for safety and to ensure the proper functioning of the lightbulb.

4. How does the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, CFL) affect the power and resistance?

Each type of bulb has a different power and resistance. Incandescent bulbs have a higher power and lower resistance compared to LED and CFL bulbs. LED and CFL bulbs are more energy-efficient, meaning they have a lower power and higher resistance. This is why LED and CFL bulbs are often recommended for household use.

5. Can the power and resistance of a lightbulb change over time?

Yes, the power and resistance of a lightbulb can change over time. This is due to the natural degradation of the materials used in the bulb and the accumulation of dust and debris on the surface. As a lightbulb ages, its power typically decreases while its resistance increases, resulting in a dimmer and less efficient bulb.