Light vs Radio attenuation in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the absorption of light in water and how it relates to different wavelengths. While generally red light is attenuated before violet light, this relationship is not consistent throughout the entire spectrum. Additionally, while lower frequencies may be less attenuated in water, this does not necessarily apply to all frequencies. The complexity of this topic can be seen in the variation of attenuation for electromagnetic waves in water.
Major25
Hi all,

I can't figure this one out, but I'm sure I'm probably missing something simple. Here's the problem I'm having: From what I've been told in my SCUBA class (as well as from online article's and forums) light is attenuated in water in the order red->violet (red being attenuated first). Red light has longer wavelengths than violet light, so this leads me to believe that longer wavelengths are more attenuated underwater than shorter wavelengths.

However, it was my understanding that if radio towers wished to communicate with a submarine underwater, they can only barely make it work if they transmit at low frequencies (longer wavelengths), and not at all at higher frequencies. THIS leads me to believe that lower frequencies are less attenuated in water, which is contradictory to the first paragraph.

What is it that I'm missing from this picture?

Thank you very much, this has been bugging me for a while.

Science news on Phys.org
The relationship you mention, the absorbtion decreasing with increasing wavelegth is a very local one, it happens for some regions of the spectrum but cannot be extended to the whole spectrum.
You can get a n idea of how more complex the things are if you look for example here, where you can see the variation of the attenuation in water for electromagnetic waves. It does not have radio waves included but I hope you can get some idea.
The visible spectrum is located in that deep valley corresponding to a very low attenuation.

Related to Light vs Radio attenuation in water

1. How does light attenuation differ from radio attenuation in water?

Light attenuation refers to the reduction in intensity or strength of light waves as they pass through water. This is due to the absorption and scattering of light particles by water molecules. On the other hand, radio attenuation refers to the weakening of radio waves as they travel through water. This is primarily caused by the absorption of radio waves by water molecules.

2. Which type of wave is more affected by attenuation in water?

Light waves are more affected by attenuation in water compared to radio waves. This is because light waves have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency, making them more susceptible to absorption and scattering by water molecules.

3. How does the depth of water affect attenuation for both light and radio waves?

The depth of water has a significant impact on both light and radio attenuation. As the depth increases, more water molecules are present, leading to a higher chance of absorption and scattering. This results in a greater decrease in intensity for both types of waves.

4. Can certain factors affect the rate of attenuation in water for light and radio waves?

Yes, several factors can affect the rate of attenuation in water for both light and radio waves. Some of these include the purity and temperature of the water, as well as the wavelength and frequency of the waves. For example, pure water will have less attenuation compared to water with impurities, and longer wavelength radio waves will experience less attenuation than shorter wavelength light waves.

5. How is attenuation in water measured for light and radio waves?

Attenuation in water is typically measured in decibels (dB). This unit of measurement indicates the ratio of the initial wave intensity to the final intensity after traveling through a certain distance in water. The higher the dB value, the greater the attenuation. Specialized equipment, such as spectrophotometers for light waves and hydrophones for radio waves, are used to measure attenuation in water.