Light Through Matter: Quantum Mechanics & Complex Vectors

In summary, within quantum optics, there is a description of light through matter using c-number fields that also represent probability amplitudes for light to either go straight through the matter or go through a charge that it accelerates.
forcefield
I've been reading Feynman's (classical) derivation of the refractive index and I wonder if there is a more quantum mechanical description in terms of complex number field vectors - one vector for that part of light that goes straight through and another for that part of light that goes through accelerated charges - so that those component vectors are exactly at 90 degree angle with respect to each other so that total field vector is the sum of those component field vectors and if energy is proportional to square of field then total energy is also simply the sum of the energies of those component fields ?

(To clarify, I'm not asking about the refractive index but about the way that the field is divided between the part that goes straight through and the part that goes through accelerated charges).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's called "quantum optics". My favorite textbook is

J. C. Garrison, R. Y. Chiao, Quantum Optics, Oxford University Press (2008)

vanhees71 said:
That's called "quantum optics".
Do you mean that within quantum physics "light through matter" is called "quantum optics" or that what I suggested is part of quantum optics ?

Quantum optics is, among other things, about the behavior of non-classical em.-field states with matter, among them also single-photon states. I understood your question in the way that you are asking for single-photon interactions with matter. As far as linear optics is concerned everything is more or less the same as in classical electromagnetism a la Maxwell, since in the linear approximation it doesn't matter too much, whether you deal with c-number fields (classical theory) or field operators (quantum field theory).

vanhees71 said:
I understood your question in the way that you are asking for single-photon interactions with matter.
Well, perhaps one can replace "part of light" in my OP with "photon"; but my question was about whether the light that reaches a point at the other side of matter can be represented with c-number fields that also represent probability amplitudes for part of light to either go straight through the matter or go through a charge that it accelerates.

Related to Light Through Matter: Quantum Mechanics & Complex Vectors

1. What is light through matter?

Light through matter refers to the interaction between light and particles of matter, such as atoms and molecules. This interaction is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics and is described using complex vectors.

2. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of wave-particle duality and probabilistic behavior.

3. How are complex vectors used in describing light through matter?

Complex vectors are used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a particle or system. In the context of light through matter, they are used to represent the wavefunction of a particle, which describes its position, momentum, and other properties.

4. What are the applications of understanding light through matter using quantum mechanics and complex vectors?

Understanding light through matter using quantum mechanics and complex vectors has many practical applications, such as in developing new materials for electronics and photonics, improving medical imaging techniques, and advancing quantum computing technology.

5. Are there any current research developments in the study of light through matter using quantum mechanics and complex vectors?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this field, with scientists exploring new methods for controlling and manipulating light-matter interactions, as well as investigating the potential of using quantum mechanics to create new devices and technologies.