Photonic density of state in matter

In summary: I just wanted to share my confusion about the photonic density of states in the context of complex refractive index.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the photonic density of states in the context of complex refractive index. It is mentioned that in non-absorbing or non-dissipative materials, the local photonic density of states is proportional to the cubic of the refractive index, but the imaginary part of the refractive index does not affect the result. However, in dissipative media, the emitted power is larger even when the real part of the refractive index is the same, indicating that the local photonic density of state is also affected by the imaginary part. The individual is seeking a theoretical explanation for this
Jeffrey Yang
I'm a beginner in quantum optics. I always become confusing when the material's refractive index is complex. This time is about the photonic density of states.

We know that if the material is not absorbing or dissipative, meaning the refractive index is a real number, the local photonic density of states is proportional to the cubic of the refractive index. It seems that even when the refractive index is complex, its imaginary part will not affect the result because the imaginary part will not affect the amplitude and have nothing to do will the wave-vector as well as the dispersion relation.

On the other hand, the local photonic density of state can be characterized by the emitted power from the source according to Fermi's Golden Rule. A very strange thing is in a dissipative media, the actual emitted power will be larger than the non-dissipative one even the real part of refractive index is the same, meaning the local photonic density of state will also be affected by the imaginary part of the refractive index . I observe this result in optical simulation and can accept it according to my daily-life intuition. But I cannot find the theoretical explanation. Does anyone can help me to understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

No, it's fine

Related to Photonic density of state in matter

1. What is photonic density of state in matter?

Photonic density of state in matter refers to the number of electromagnetic modes that can exist in a given material or medium. It describes the distribution of energy states of photons within the material.

2. How is photonic density of state measured?

The photonic density of state can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a material. It can also be calculated theoretically using mathematical models.

3. What factors affect the photonic density of state in matter?

The photonic density of state is affected by several factors, including the composition and structure of the material, its temperature, and the wavelength of light being considered. It may also be influenced by external factors such as electric and magnetic fields.

4. Why is the study of photonic density of state important?

The photonic density of state plays a crucial role in various fields such as optics, materials science, and photonics. Understanding this concept helps in the design and development of new materials and devices with specific optical properties, leading to advancements in technology.

5. Can the photonic density of state be manipulated?

Yes, the photonic density of state can be manipulated by changing the properties of the material, such as its composition or structure, or by introducing external influences such as electric or magnetic fields. This manipulation can be used to control the behavior of light within a material and create novel optical devices.