Light Refraction: Finding an Exact Value for a 2nd Image

In summary, one image is formed by rays that go directly through the bubble and has a real depth of 3.33 cm as measured from the plane surface. The second image is formed by reflected light that hits the bubble and has a virtual depth of 7.5 cm as measured from the concave mirror. The final image is formed by using the formula 1/u + 1/v = 1/f, where f is the focal length of the mirror, and has an apparent depth of 10 cm as measured from the plane surface.
Shackleford
One image should be formed by rays that go directly through the bubble and another image is formed by reflected light that hits the bubble.

n1 = 1
n2 = 1.5
R = -7.5 CM
so = 5 cm

If n1 = n2, then si would equal 15 cm as measured from the second vertex on the concave surface. However, they're not equal and the light ray is refracted at the plane. Since n1 is less than n2, the light ray will be refracted away from the perpendicular line. Thus, si' is less than 15 cm.

How do I find an exact value for this second image? I assume the first image is also along the optical axis, but where?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure, but since everything is along the axis, I would think one image appears 5cm*1.5 = 7.5cm away. The other is relected light from the curved end of the lens so that ray has to trave an additional optical path of 2.5*2*1.5 = 7.5cm so that image would appear 7.5cm + 7.5 = 15 cm away, behind the front image.

Youd better hope others will comment on this! :-)

rude man said:
Not sure, but since everything is along the axis, I would think one image appears 5cm*1.5 = 7.5cm away. The other is relected light from the curved end of the lens so that ray has to trave an additional optical path of 2.5*2*1.5 = 7.5cm so that image would appear 7.5cm + 7.5 = 15 cm away, behind the front image.

Youd better hope others will comment on this! :-)

How did you formulate your equations?

This problem is also from my junior-level class, NOT INTRODUCTORY.

For first image, use the formula
refractive index = real depth/apparent depth.
In the problem real depth is 5 cm from the plane surface.Find the apparent depth.
For the second problem, find the position of the image formed by the concave mirror by using the formula
1/u + 1/v = 2/R where u is the object distance, which is 2.5 cm from the pole of the mirror and v is the image distance. Then find the distance of this virtual image from the plane surface. To get the final image use the formula given is the first problem.

AD = 5 cm/1.5 = 3.33 cm as measured from the plane interface in the glass hemisphere.

I calculated si = -7.5 cm = v.

This virtual image is 7.5 cm to the right of concave mirror and 15 cm to the right of the plane interface.

Using the original formula, the AD = 10 cm.

Last edited:
Your answer is correct.

Related to Light Refraction: Finding an Exact Value for a 2nd Image

1. What is light refraction and why is it important?

Light refraction refers to the bending of light as it passes through different materials or mediums. It is important because it allows us to understand how light behaves and how it interacts with various substances, which has practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and medicine.

2. How do we measure the exact value for a 2nd image in light refraction?

To find the exact value for a 2nd image in light refraction, we use the equation n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the indexes of refraction for the two mediums and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. By plugging in the known values and solving for the unknown, we can determine the exact value for the 2nd image.

3. What factors affect the value of the 2nd image in light refraction?

The value of the 2nd image in light refraction is affected by the indexes of refraction of the two mediums, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. Changes in any of these factors can alter the value of the 2nd image and the resulting refraction.

4. How does light refraction differ from reflection?

Light refraction and reflection are both phenomena that involve the bending of light, but they differ in how the light is bent. In refraction, light is bent as it passes through a medium, while in reflection, light is bounced off a surface. Additionally, refraction causes the light to change direction, while reflection simply changes the orientation of the light.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding light refraction?

Understanding light refraction has many practical applications. Some examples include the design of lenses for eyeglasses or cameras, the study of atmospheric optics and how it affects the appearance of celestial objects, and the use of medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans. Refraction also plays a crucial role in the formation of rainbows and mirages.