How can you use Snell's law to find the image formed by a thick lens?

• Thread starter darksyesider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens Optics
In summary: Is it safe to ignore one of the refractive indices?Snell's law would require two bends---the first from ocean to glass and then from glass to air. Thats my reasoning wit using 1.
darksyesider
A window of a submarine is 30 cm thick, and is underwater. The index of refraction of the window is 1.65. The index of refraction fo th eocean is 1.35. The index of refraction inside the submarine is 1.00.

A scuba diver is 1 meter away from thw window. Where does his image form?I used n1/d_o + n2/d_i = (n2-n1)/R (this goes to zero since R is infinity), from the Thick Lens Equation.

1.35/100 = -1.65/d_i

d_i = -122.22

Now d_o2 = 152.22, because of the thickness thing (d_i+d_o2 = thickness)

Again;

n/d_o2 + n/d_i2 = (some n - some n)/infinity (goes to zero again)Which n values do I use? Is it 1.65/152.222 + 1/d_i2 =0
or is it 1.65/152.222+1.35/d_i2 =0 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
You need all three n values to solve this problem.
Does the thick lens equation allow for the refractive index being different on each side of the lens?
It may help you to draw a sketch of the problem - maybe with two diverging rays from the diver position and dotted lines traced back to locate the image.

Thanks Mr. Bridge...long time no see!
I could not find any specifications of the thick lens equation online or in my textbook...I understand it is derived from lensmakers.

I drew a diagram, and light seems to pass through the ocean--to the glass---to the air.

Is my solution correct then? To me it makes sense because if we were NOT to use n=1, the situation would be analogous to putting it just in water (which obviously gives a different distance :p).

You can look up the derivation of the thick-lens formula online.
You seem to be guessing rather than reasoning to the answer ...

You can try using Snell's law to find how a ray of light bends through each interface.
Is it safe to ignore one of the refractive indeces?

Snells law would require two bends---the first from ocean to glass and then from glass to air. Thats my reasoning wit using 1.

I tried doing stuff with beams of light, but can't get an answer since the lens is not curved
It is definitely NOT safe to ignore an n.Im fairly confident my dea is correct theoretically.

Now I am not certain if i put it into the equation correctly. I still cannot find any derivation.

Additionally, my answer makes sense conceptually because the image is now closer to the lens.

Am i right?

I would just use Snell's law twice. Once from ocean to window and once from window to air.

How do you use snell's law?? Since the surface is not curved, the incident angle (90 degrees) will be the same as the refracted angle (since n1sinx1=n2sinx2)

Think about how binocular vision works with depth perception. Is it actually true that the incident angle is 90 deg?

I don't think I have learned that yet...
is there any way to use the thick lens equation (as I did in my first post)? Or is it incorrect? (also why is it incorrect if it is?_

I don't think I have learned that yet...
You have seen a diagram deriving the apparent depth equation haven't you?

How do you use snell's law?? Since the surface is not curved, the incident angle (90 degrees) will be the same as the refracted angle (since n1sinx1=n2sinx2)
In optics, angles are measured from the normal to the surface - not from the surface itself.

Light rays fan out from the object in all directions.
All you need is any two rays that do not have a 0 deg angle of incidence in order to use Snell's law.
is there any way to use the thick lens equation (as I did in my first post)? Or is it incorrect? (also why is it incorrect if it is?_
This is what we are trying to get you to see.

Before you can use an equation, you need to understand it.
The thick lens equation was derived assuming that there was the same refractive index on either side of the lens - this gives a reason why you shouldn't expect it to work. But it may do - you don't know because you don't understand the equation. Part of the point of your homework is to gain understanding - so if we just tell you stuff right out, it will defeat the point of your education.

You have said:
It is definitely NOT safe to ignore an n.
Im fairly confident my dea is correct theoretically.
You say you cannot ignore an n. There are three n's, but the thick lens equation (the one you wrote down for us) only uses two doesn't it?
So if you use it, it means ignoring one of the three n's you are given.
Something you also say is not safe.

So how can you be so confident that it is right to do so?

You need a way to check your ideas:
The way to check is to use Snell's law on carefully chosen light rays.
Go look at your notes for the apparent depth problem and see how that was done - your working should be the same, only you have two surfaces. You need two light-rays that diverge from the object.

Here's some tutorials:
http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age11-14/Light/text/Real_and_apparent_depth/index.html
http://www.physicstutorials.org/home/optics/refraction-of-light/apparent-depth-real-depth

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can you use Snell's law to find the image formed by a thick lens?

1. What is a thick lens in optics?

A thick lens in optics refers to a lens that has a thickness that is significant compared to its radius of curvature. This can affect the way light passes through the lens and can lead to distortions in the image produced.

2. How is the thickness of a lens related to its focal length?

The thickness of a lens is directly related to its focal length, as a thicker lens will have a shorter focal length and a thinner lens will have a longer focal length. This is because the curvature of the lens affects the bending of light rays and determines the point at which they converge or diverge.

3. How do you calculate the power of a thick lens?

The power of a thick lens can be calculated using the lens maker's equation, which takes into account the refractive index of the lens, the radii of curvature of its surfaces, and its thickness. This equation is P = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2 + (n-1)d/nR1R2), where n is the refractive index, R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature, and d is the thickness of the lens.

4. What are the different types of thick lenses?

There are two main types of thick lenses: convex lenses and concave lenses. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, and they converge incoming light rays to a focal point. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, and they diverge incoming light rays.

5. How do you correct for spherical aberration in thick lenses?

Spherical aberration is a distortion that can occur in thick lenses due to the spherical shape of their surfaces. This can be corrected by using a combination of convex and concave lenses, known as an achromatic lens, or by using a lens with non-spherical surfaces, known as an aspheric lens. Alternatively, using a smaller aperture can also help reduce spherical aberration.