Light cone and Cherenkov radiation

In summary, at close to C the light emitting from a regular light globe ie diffuse light in all directions, will form a cone.
Ross Arden
Hi All

I read somewhere that at close to C the light emitting from a regular light globe ie diffuse light in all directions, will form a cone.

what is the thinking behind this and does anyone have a link where I can read about it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ross Arden said:
I read somewhere

Where? Please give a specific reference.

Ross Arden said:
does anyone have a link where I can read about it ?

Haven't you already read about it somewhere? Can you tell us where?

I can't find a reference which is why I ended up here I thought you guys would know. I read it about 5 years ago so the ref is lost

I think it is based on the assumption that photons have length, so, if a photon is emitted by an electron and the electron is traveling at ~C and as the photon has length it will take a finite time to be emitted from the electron etc etc

Ross Arden said:
Hi All

I read somewhere that at close to C the light emitting from a regular light globe ie diffuse light in all directions, will form a cone.

what is the thinking behind this and does anyone have a link where I can read about it ?
I think you are asking about this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_beaming

I thought about how a photon would exit an electron, if the electron was traveling at ~C, as opposed to stationary. In the attached picture the top series is a photon existing an electron at C at times t1, t2 , t3 , t4, t4 is far right. The bottom series is how a photon would exit a stationary electron. I asked in a forum if what I thought was right. Someone agreed and pointed to a reference. I read some of it. Looking at my pic is what I thought correct ?

Attachments

• ele.png
    ele.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 481
Ross Arden said:
Looking at my pic is what I thought correct ?
No. First of all, you cannot take a classical viewpoint of electrons interacting with photons. They are quantum particles. Second, replacing the photon with a light signal and the electron with an emitting object, your aberration goes in the wrong direction.

Ross Arden said:
Someone agreed and pointed to a reference. I read some of it.
Again. What reference? You cannot just continue throwing out ”I read somewhere that”. In order to help you we need to know and see what you read to know what your misconceptions are and what the text is actually saying.

Orodruin said:
No. First of all, you cannot take a classical viewpoint of electrons interacting with photons. They are quantum particles. Second, replacing the photon with a light signal and the electron with an emitting object, your aberration goes in the wrong direction.Again. What reference? You cannot just continue throwing out ”I read somewhere that”. In order to help you we need to know and see what you read to know what your misconceptions are and what the text is actually saying.

Like I said I don't know the reference it was years ago

yeh I am only interested in an electron and photon

Orodruin said:
No. First of all, you cannot take a classical viewpoint of electrons interacting with photons. They are quantum particles. Second, replacing the photon with a light signal and the electron with an emitting object, your aberration goes in the wrong direction.Again. What reference? You cannot just continue throwing out ”I read somewhere that”. In order to help you we need to know and see what you read to know what your misconceptions are and what the text is actually saying.

thanks for that what would be the the quantum mechanical explanation for what would happen ?

I think you may be talking about Chernokov radiation (not sure of spelling). This is where charged particles traveling through a medium like air will emita a cone of light ahead of the particle. i have always thought that this was the source of Auroras near either pole

Ross Arden said:
I thought you guys would know

As should be evident from the responses you are getting, the information you are giving is not sufficient to know what you are talking about. You have been given some suggestions, but you need to do the work of figuring out which one is the one you want to discuss. (Or, if none of them are, you need to figure out what is.)

Ross Arden said:
Like I said I don't know the reference it was years ago

Then you'll need to go and find one and start a new thread based on it. This thread is closed.

Likes Orodruin

Related to Light cone and Cherenkov radiation

1. What is a light cone?

A light cone is a 3-dimensional representation of the path of light in space and time. It is shaped like a cone, with the tip representing the present moment and the base representing all possible points in the future and past that can be reached by light.

2. How is Cherenkov radiation produced?

Cherenkov radiation is produced when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium. This causes the medium to become polarized, emitting a cone of blue light in the direction of the particle's motion.

3. What is the significance of Cherenkov radiation in particle physics?

Cherenkov radiation is used in particle physics experiments to detect and measure high-energy particles. By analyzing the properties of the radiation, scientists can determine the energy and direction of the particles, providing valuable information about the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. Can Cherenkov radiation be observed outside of particle accelerators?

Yes, Cherenkov radiation can also be observed in natural phenomena such as atmospheric air showers caused by high-energy cosmic rays interacting with Earth's atmosphere. It can also be seen in nuclear reactors, which produce high-speed particles as a byproduct of nuclear reactions.

5. Is Cherenkov radiation harmful to humans?

No, Cherenkov radiation is not harmful to humans as it is a form of electromagnetic radiation with a relatively low energy. The blue light emitted by Cherenkov radiation is similar to the blue light in the visible spectrum, and it does not have enough energy to cause damage to living cells.